New Crossovers with Hz/db switches & DIY speakers

One of my concerns I didn't consider before purchasing the Dayton 10" woofer was that almost all my vocals will be coming from it. I'll have to crossover higher than 400 Hz with a ready made crossover probably 700hz.
That’s why you should not use a ready made crossover. Make it yourself and make it lower than 700 (you can use passive components or a DSP but using a DSP makes it an active crossover and you then need at least two separate 2-channel power amps or a 4-channel).
I'm not sure but it seems to me a 6.5" or 5" mid woofer would be a better instrument for doing this.
You are absolutely right and that is why you carefully have to pick your drivers, especially for a 3-way…
Would the vocals sound better in a sealed enclosure using my 10" woofers than in the ported enclosure I was planning?
What sounds good is a very subjective thing. I prefer the bass quality from a sealed enclosure. A sealed design is also more forgiving than a vented and therefor easier to get right. The bad part is loss of efficiency but it can be compensated with EQ. Note that I only talk about bass quality and extension. This has nothing todo with the sound quality of the majority of vocals.
If so I would prefer to use a sealed enclosure instead with it.
You already got a sealed mid and it’s the one who should handle the majority of vocals. The bass is vented and might get harder to get right than a sealed. But you will loose efficiency with a sealed design and you might perceive it as less “bassy”, but the bass might be of better quality, but it is a personal thing. OMG, I feel like a broken record…
My only other question would be I'd have way more volume for my sealed 10" woofer than I need, is there a way the I could use the space I have for a better result with sealed enclosure?
Too much volume can always be made smaller (e.g. stuff it with a bag of sand until you get the right volume. Too small is tougher even if stuffing can make up for some of it.

Last edited:
Please read the post in this thread and see what happens to textbook crossovers which no doubt these off the shelf units assume:
So you want to design your own speaker from scratch!

even if you don't measure and use manufacturer data (with some applied baffle diffraction and step response - tools exist to do this) - you'll end up with a better crossover design.

The right crossover for you won't be cheap - esp. in Aus sourcing inductors and capacitors. A 3 way design can go from as little as 9 parts to as many as 30 depending on driver behaviour.

I'm inexperienced yes, I'm considering using both of the 10" woofers in a separate subwoofer although I can't find a decent sub amp at reasonable cost and then purchase some more woofers more suitable for vocals.

If I were to make the crossover I'd have to ask forum members for info on every single part in the crossover to make sure it was correct and its relative position and how to link all the parts and how to pinpoint if one part is faulty

In addition if I did anything incorrectly it would likely still not be a good result and at more than twice the cost around $500 for the pair.

I know I have much if not all of the info in the schematic that's been given but I'd still not be confident unless I posted photos of every part in the proposed crossover on the forum for a yes or no approval before purchasing. Seems a lot to expect of any forum member.

I realise this is not the same thing but in this video this $4000 dollar for the pair only has a $20 to $30 crossover. I'll probably end up taking my speakers to a professional to iron out any bugs.

$4000 Revel VS $350 Wharfedale | The Results Might Surprise You! - YouTube

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi
I partitioned the speaker box with both sections ported now that I'm using a separate amp to power the woofers.
Interesting the bcae1 calculator recommend half the length port compaired to all the other online calculators I used at 3.2 inches long for 43 mm wide port compaired to 19.5 cm plus everywhere else. I'm not using bcae1 recommendations.

Speaker Box Calculations

Screenshot_2021-08-04-07-55-59-397~3.jpeg

IMG_20210806_103604_459.jpg

Last edited: