Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Super tweeters
Super tweeters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #111
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, so if the delay introduced by another amplification step won’t do it, maybe back the tweeter on up a little……it’d 5 feet?…..more than I thought!

Edit……looks as though dsp might be necessary for that one! Unless I misread and it was .5 ms? I’ll go back and see if I can’t find it again!

DSP would (in this case) need to be ad/da conversion which in of itself could cause a 5ms latency…….problem solved! (If it really was 5ms…… I’m second guessing what I read/understood now!)

Last edited by mountainman bob; Yesterday at 03:50 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #112
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Most current DSP throughput delay including AD/DA conversion is under 2ms latency, though you can add more delay.

Delayed tweeters will contribute to the "cavernous echo sound you're getting" ...
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Maybe a delayed main tweeter but only the secondary is delayed in this example…..Are you familiar with the techniques I described? I still may not be completely getting the whole picture but that’s the gist of it from what I can tell.
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #114
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman bob View Post
Are you familiar with the techniques I described?
If I recall the "techniques" you describe are variations on cross-wiring additional tweeters in or out of polarity, located some distance apart from the main speakers, with additional short delay added to increase "ambience".
I'm familiar with various ambience effects created with or without additional transducers.

The popularity of the Bose 901 (8 reflecting speakers, one direct) proved many people like adding additional ambience to the source.

Adding high frequency ambience from additional locations reduces coherence (clarity, articulation, intelligibility, comprehensibility) of the original source recording, which also reduces my listening enjoyment of the source.

Have fun listening to whatever you prefer!

Art

Last edited by weltersys; Yesterday at 06:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Well Art I appreciate your experience, but how am I supposed to know what it does for me but for giving it a try? Iíll be the first one to know/admit if it doesnít do anything for me and if it does show some sort of improvement then we can figure it out.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #116
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Super tweeters
This would be enough to change everything. The fact that you want to attach this to the speaker might even have no relevance other than that it's a convenient place to hang it.. which is another way of saying it's no longer about lobing.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

It was just something I’ve been wanting to try, it’s not the main objective…..I was just looking for guidance to do that particular experiment correctly, I’ve heard the SDA’s in action and know it does work in some capacity.

Also I have personal experience with ambience speakers (stereo) and really enjoyed the results using that setup for years……now I have more experience, more disposable income (within reason) and a whole word full of diy at my fingertips!

Last edited by mountainman bob; Yesterday at 07:22 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #118
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Super tweeters
If it at all sounded like I was saying it's not worthwhile, I wasn't. If anything it was more of a green light to experiment by saying you aren't going to be constrained like we discussed earlier in the thread.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Oh, okÖ..thanks for clearing that up, because the previous statement sounded a bit derogatory. Must of been the Aussie translation again!

Plan is to try it in every configuration possible.
  Reply to this post

Super tweetersHide this!Advertise here!