Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

narrow down drivers for new build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2021, 07:50 PM   #1
jimbones is offline jimbones  United States
diyAudio Member

Default narrow down drivers for new build

Considering a new build. I happen to have a 1.5 cu ft cabinet in my shop not being used so I was thinking either a 2way or 3 way. I have a sub so I donít need subterranean bass.
7 or 8 inch woofer and 1 inch dome
Or
7 or 8 inch woofer, 1 inch dome and Fountek Neo 3 (Hate to use the term super tweeter but this is kind of like Harbeths 3 way with 2 tweeters.)

In a separate thread I was suggested these 2 tweeters
D2604 or DX25BCG60

Woofers under consideration: SS 18W/8531G, Seas W22NY, Seas U22REX, Dayton RS225P-8.

The W22NY is expensive so unless there is a compelling reason to use it. My focus is on clean mids that have a relaxed natural sound. I donít want ultra detail at the expense of musicality. Your thoughts are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.
Old 13th July 2021, 12:10 AM   #2
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

8" bass is usually easy enough in a two way:

Click the image to open in full size.

A U22REX would work well enough I think. Joachim Gerhard likes it with the DXT tweeter on a similar filter:

H1499-06 27TBCD/GB-DXT

Sky's the limit on higher order filters. Restoring Monitor Audio R300 bookshelf speakers.

3 ways are such an open subject, I think you should do some simming. 8" plus 1" plus 3/4" supertweeter is what most people do.

You'd need to work hard at the crossover.
Old 13th July 2021, 04:45 AM   #3
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

The Dayton RS225P-8 has very low QMS. Some say that's a bad thing, but I don't know if there's any truth in it or not.

Subjectively, I don't like the sound of metal or plastic drivers, but I haven't heard them all, and we all have different ears, so YMMV.

I quite like the look of the Dayton PS220-8 or the PM220-8. The PS220 needs quite a large ported enclosure, but will work in a relatively small sealed box if you use a good subwoofer to fill in the low end. I haven't modelled the PM220 though. The wonky response above 1.5khz could make crossover design very difficult though...

Although low QMS, I quite like the look of the Seas CA22RNY for a 2-way. I've heard some people say Seas coated paper have a better midrange than Scanspeak, but Scanspeak produce better bass. If the Seas was used in a sealed box with a subwoofer, then the low end wouldn't matter anyway.
The mediaís the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and thatís power. Because they control the minds of the masses. - Malcolm X
Old 13th July 2021, 12:21 PM   #4
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I was just looking around for a 40L design.

Plenty at Madisound in their crossover archive. But this one caught my eye.

Osprey-BR (Eminence Beta 10CX with Selenium D220Ti) – AmpsLab

If it all fits, Eminence drivers are a very fine lively sound. The 10CX is used in some very high end designs. Not much deep bass, being efficient, but you have a sub I think.

6moons audio reviews: WLM Diva Monitor with Diva Control
Old 13th July 2021, 12:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Lots to think about here. Let me get back later. I am confused as to why the XO will be difficult if I add a second tweeter.
Old 13th July 2021, 04:55 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Phasing, polar response issues, so my solution way back when was to mount them in a WG to both blend/control dispersion and allow a lower XO point.
Old 13th July 2021, 05:29 PM   #7
ugly woofer is offline ugly woofer  United States
diyAudio Member

If you mount either of your tweeter choices in an 8" wg crossed about 1kHz should mate very well with the scan or seas woofers.
Old 13th July 2021, 05:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default new territory

OK so I have never worked with WG's. I wouldnt know what type to use or where to get them or how to model them.....I like the idea, just new to me.
Old 13th July 2021, 05:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thinking Seas UX22/REX and DX25BG tweeter (option to add Ribbon at higher frequencies).
Old 13th July 2021, 07:03 PM   #10
Pida is offline Pida  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

If you want 8" 2-way, directivity mismatch at Fc and tweeter power handling are the biggest issues.
You have basically two options:
1. You can use large dome tweeter (Bliesma T34A/B, Seas T35, Wavecor TW030WA, ...) and place the crossover <1500Hz.
2. Use waveguided tweeter

Here is what it should look like, as inspiration. WG is WG-300 Monacor. Scan Speak 22W Discovery is probably one of few 8inchers suitable for 2-way speaker and it is budget friendly. It is woofer I would not heasitate to use.
Heissmann Acoustics | Disco-M | 20l reference speaker

Other 8inchers suitable for 2-way:
NE225W
Audax HM210Zx and 210CP
WF223BD

narrow down drivers for new buildHide this!Advertise here!