Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Restoring / Modifying Goodmans Magnum K2s Advice Needed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2021, 03:19 AM   #211
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
The new £320 Rotel T11 tuner has a lot of fresh air inside:

T11 | Rotel
DAB/FM tuners are becoming a rare breed these days.

The industry just expects us all to listen to radio over the internet!

Well, not me! I've just future-proofed my ability to listen to radio over the airwaves, as well as continuing to play my CDs, by purchasing a Denon RCDM-41DAB to replace my old Yamaha CRZ-M170 which is slowly dying!

Denon D-M41DAB review | What Hi-Fi?

I thought I'd better buy it now before this type of unit disappears off the market in favour of its now popular internet radio/streaming counterparts.

As a nod to modernity, the Denon has a bluetooth receiver - whatever that is!
Old 10th September 2021, 09:44 AM   #212
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Anything Ancient Denon/Sony/Pioneer/Rotel is a good investment, especially on build quality. IMO.

But the art has advanced. More is integrated on single chips. I had my Rotel RT-950BX FM/AM tuner apart last night.

Much less fresh air than the current FM/DAB+ T11:

T11 | Rotel

Naturally I spotted a twin NE5532AN opamp at the output coupled by slightly dubious Nichicon polars. A Big Toshiba PLL chip. An agricultural but highly competent AM section on the right. Actually does the business still. I get the FM stations (88-108 Mhz), and MW for Radio5Live and Talksport in much better quality than DAB.

DAB and DAB+ (220 Mhz) is problematic IMO. Never get a good signal. Gone are the days of good 4 element attic or rooftop aerials. This is a backward step. Those FM ribbons aren't much good for noise. Still a keen fan of "The Wireless" down in my den.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotel RT-950BX.jpg (108.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg NelsonAngry.JPG (32.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 10th September 2021, 05:51 PM   #213
boswald is offline boswald  United States
diyAudio Member

I knew there would be hocus-pocus and hand waving when I saw the Cardas name on that link.

Oooh...Golden Rectangles!!!

The best thing you can do in a super-symmetric room is introduce asymmetry, both for speaker and listener.

Irregularity is the enemy of the standing wave.
Old 10th September 2021, 06:56 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the warning, boswald!
Old 10th September 2021, 07:46 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

Returning to the "Fantastic Plastic"!

My sister bought the Technics mini separates system I mentioned earlier on my advice. Each individual unit boasts a brushed aluminium fascia and the combination makes a more than decent sound.

When her new partner came along, he replaced the Technics with a shiny black plastic blob of unknown manufacture which he had bought from a TV shopping channel!

When shown this new acquisition, I simply raised an eyebrow and proceeded to load the Technics into my car.

I didn't ask to hear the shiny black plastic blob play. All that seemed to matter to the pair was that it fitted neatly on the shelf under the TV!

There, I'm glad I got that off my chest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Technics HD-350.jpg (20.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 11th September 2021, 11:41 AM   #216
david83 is offline david83  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@Galu, I still have a VCR in the loft. Don’t want to get rid of it until I have transferred all the family videos from yesteryear to digital!

@system7 Amps also rarely come up on Freecycle. Plenty of cassette decks and turntables. There was a Cambridge Audio A1 a while back but it was 28 miles away. Without knowing the condition of it, it wasn’t worth the risk. It’d be nice to invest in another amp for these Goodmans. Would the RA-931 II be your pick?

An update on these Goodmans:

More foam around the bass drivers is the winner. That and continued run in time has improved the bass no end. I also reduced the mid attenuating resistor to 1R. This has really helped too. With one thing or another, these do not sound the same as they did a week ago.

Waiting nervously in the hope I win the solid wood items on eBay to build the stands. Although they sound pretty good on the floor now, and with the bass dial at 5 past - not 25 past (max)!

Last edited by david83; 11th September 2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11th September 2021, 01:28 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

Then get that VCR out of the loft now! It will be deteriorating due to extremes of heat and humidity.

Great that you're now much happier with the sound of the speakers.
Old 11th September 2021, 01:37 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Oh. Iíve done my usual and posted without refreshing. Then Iíve noticed additional replies, apologies I wasnít ignoring you @boswald thanks for the info!

@Galu, I think you got a good deal walking away with the technics! I used to have a really nice technics stack and it was stolen :-( it was similar to this: Technics Stereo HiFi Stack System - Amp, CD, Tuner, Cassette, Turntable | eBay I miss it a lot.

Yes I am much happier. Not sure if a recording on my phone would do it justice, would love to show you guys what it sounds like now.

I didnít think of the heat/humidity! Didnít realise that would affect helical scan devices. :-/

@system7 Iíll keep an eye out for any of those brand amps on freecycle. I might get luckyÖ
Old 11th September 2021, 01:55 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Coincidently, I've got the Technics SL-PJ28A compact disc player shown in that stack!

It's still in use in my Man Cave. When it stopped reading discs a couple of years ago, I cleaned the brushes and commutator of the spindle motor by disconnecting it from the circuit and briefly applying 9V DC in either direction - plus a judicious squirt of contact cleaner!

The Technics hasn't faltered since, and the Denon player I bought to replace it in the event of further failure remains in its box for now.
Old 11th September 2021, 03:15 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Yeah it was solid and sounded great. I had it hooked up to some Arcam Delta 2ís which were stolen with it. I long for the lot to appear on freecycle but I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery :-P

Restoring / Modifying Goodmans Magnum K2s Advice NeededHide this!Advertise here!