Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The 'Circles of Doom'.....Open baffleless full range speakers.
The 'Circles of Doom'.....Open baffleless full range speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2021, 02:04 PM   #431
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Speaking of the "clamshell" (compound dipole), let's compare that to an H-frame using SL's analysis.

SL's model (valid at low frequencies) finds that the output (SPL) for the compound dipole is proportional to two times the effective width of each driver that makes up the compound dipole (usually they are identical). Let's say we use two 15" drivers and they are mounted in 20"x20" baffles. SL's analysis says the output from the compound dipole will be like an H-frame that is 2*20" or 40" long! That is pretty large. But the advantage of the compound dipole is that it will (probably) not have the resonance of an H-frame (because there are no fully enclosed front and rear "tunnels"). This might make it usable to a higher frequency, and based on my quick measurements from a few days ago I would say that is indeed the case.

It would be interesting to compare an equivalent H-frame and compound dipole where D=2*d1 (following SL) via measurements to see the similarities and differences in LF SPL and higher frequency resonances.
Old 25th July 2021, 04:33 PM   #432
danibosn is offline danibosn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

design formula is always same, doesn't matter OB, U or H frame. For U and H should be calculated quarter wave resonance and output will be little bit different, as Charlie said, due to air mass load.

I found Kreskowsky papers most thorough analyses of OB. On his pages could be downloaded "A,B,C dipole" spreadsheet.
A, B, C, Dipole
On MJK pages you can find (for small fee) Mathcad spreadsheets for modeling several different box kinds and I found it quite useful for modeling OB's and TL's
Old 26th July 2021, 04:56 AM   #433
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
It's not so easy to model it a priori (with the exception of perhaps HornResp)
The Hornresp Loudspeaker Wizard can simulate H and U frame loudspeaker designs in real time using theoretical models developed by 'bolserst'. The model predictions have been validated against measured results.
Attached Images
File Type: png Attach_1.png (44.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: png Attach_2.png (44.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: png Attach_3.png (66.6 KB, 162 views)

The 'Circles of Doom'.....Open baffleless full range speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!