Beyma SM110/n for 2 way low power speakers.

Hi
I have a pair of Beyma SM110/n.

Are 8ohms 96dB.

Somebody know if is a good option for do a two way speakers with 1800hz crossover aprox.

I know would be better 6 or 7 or 8 inch driver for the dispersion, but the Beyma is enough efficient.

I have a 300B amp.

Attachments

• 1902221719111158_01_medium.jpg
    1902221719111158_01_medium.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 428
  • 81Q+CMarvUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81Q+CMarvUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 429
  • 91bVrAHNOGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    91bVrAHNOGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 440
Pro drivers can be just as good for home audio and often are better in some ways, especially in the efficiency department.

One of my favorite 8" pro drivers is the B&C 8NDL51. In the 300 to 1k range, its super clean and will cope with alot of power down low. The VC is copper on a fiberglass former, so very durable for midbass purposes and little power compression.

Another great 8" is the Eminence Beta 8a, considering its price. Very clean to 4k if you need something that large to go that far up. One of the best 8" mids under $80. The Eminence Kappalite 3012HO is another gem, My favorite neo magnet 12" for 2 way designs. Also works great in a horn and super efficient, yet very clean low end.

Beyma makes some nice stuff. Not much to complain about. Only issue I've had was an occasional rubbing VC. They run tight VC gaps in most of their drivers.

Faital is another great company. They make some of the best large diameter drivers for 2 way applications. You can't go wrong with pretty much any driver from them.

That Morel CAT378 is a fantastic tweeter. One of my favorite soft domes for shallow filter slopes and probably the best tweeter they make IMO. It will cope with alot of abuse and keep on going. The only thing better is the Audax TW034 in a WG.

Beyma is surely a great (Spanish) brand of speakers, mainly targetted to pro audio, but they are also fit for hifi use. Never worked with this driver, but on specs it looks like it could be fit as midbass going down to 45hz in a reflex enclosure. TL could maybe go a bit lower. upper crossover could be to 2kHz with a higher order crossover i think, lower order would be more 1000 to 1500kHz to avoid the breakup region in the response at 2500Hz.

I would rather use a compression driver in a horn for that. The new Kartesian Cmp65_vPA compression driver in a P-Audio PH-3022 horn could be very fit for that. It can be crossed over rather low (800-1000hz) and is better for high sensivity systems. Other compression drivers could work also. I've seen the Faital Pro HF-201 also used that low (or even lower) and i'm sure there are more who can do that.

A compression driver is a good choice as it can be cut lower than a dome tweeter.

About 1khz.

The timbre or tone of the compression driver is similar to a dome , or the horn modifies a little the sound ?

There is a B&C DE 250 a good option ?

Is a poliamide dome.

Attachments

• 377521-mla20815112982_072016-o-ab138f34a358acb37815433399668739-640-0.jpg
    377521-mla20815112982_072016-o-ab138f34a358acb37815433399668739-640-0.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 205
A compression driver is a good choice as it can be cut lower than a dome tweeter.

About 1khz.

The timbre or tone of the compression driver is similar to a dome , or the horn modifies a little the sound ?

Is a poliamide dome.

Good points are the dynamics, high efficiency, the possibility of crossing low, and the possibility of getting a good directivity match.

Bad points - The acoustic centres can end up being a mile out, and that can make passive crossover design difficult.
The frequency response is often wonky, and can take lots of parts to flatten. I had to use two notch filters on the 18Sound NSD1095N with the XT1086 to get a flat response, unfortunately, I couldn't do anything about the roll-off of the last octave (10khz to 20khz).
They also sound different to soft dome tweeters. It's really hard to put into words - they are not harsh in the slightest when done properly, but just sound a bit odd. Overall, I prefer soft dome tweeters. I've only had one experience of hard dome tweeters, and found it was either too bright, or dull. I just couldn't find a happy medium.

About 1khz.

Is a poliamide dome.

That B&C is a good compression driver for hifi, but i would only crossover it above 1500hz. It's response is rather flat (not like that 18Sound NSD1095N mentioned above). For lower you need a better one like that Kartesian i mentioned that can cut a lot lower. Some also use the cheaper Selenium D220Ti that low, but i'm not sure if that works very well when looking at the specs. The Faital HF201 can also go that low but is as expensive as the Kartesian, and slightly less good i think.

The sound is slightly different, but not worse than a dome tweeter, it's more focussed dispertion (depending on the horn) and direct than a dome when done right (right horn and crossover).

Well, the Altec's 4.5" diameter allows a large enough horn/WG, so little more than most tweeter face plates plus if designed to shift it backwards enough to drop it down and use a slot mouth for best overall horizontal polar response it will be closer than any low Fs cone/dome tweeter I'm aware of.