DIYSG HTM-12v2 Measurements and Review

Too much to copy/paste here, so please go to the link below for the written review and graphics.

DIYSG HTM-12v2 Speaker Review

Alternatively, you can watch the video review here:

DIYSG HTM-12v2 || High Sensitivity Home Theater Speaker on a Budget - YouTube

Cliffs: Tons of potential. A few problematic areas that would make me either not use the speaker or modify it (the latter makes the most sense, if you're already DIY'ing the speaker). As is, however, great directivity, great neutrality above about 800Hz, and great ability to be EQ'd to be more neutral. But the resonance(s) in the lower midrange need work.

DSC02006.JPG

CEA2034%20--%20DIYSG%20HTM-12%20v2.png

Last edited:
I am depressed about the flawless directivity, compared to my own development where I see much more deviations than here. Looks like a very good machine. I was wondering, Erin, if you could try to tell us some more about your purely subjective sonic experiences. The still bit uneven response is a problem and prior equalization could be helpful. But as you have so many good speakers at your place, I was wondering if you could try to describe the difference between the sound this 2-way waveguided CD + PA woofer topology provides, compared to a rather HiFi speaker.

There has also ensued a rather heated discussion in the ASR Tom Danley thread about narrow directivity vs. apparent source width and this speaker fits the discussion quite well with its narrow directivity. Yes, it would be a sighted judgement, but do you find the speaker also inferior to typical wide directivity HiFi towers? I can say I love the soundstage of my digitized Econowaves and melt away when listening to a good recording stereo, but then my only reference experience is with Elac Carina fs 247.4 and I prefer my speakers over them. Surprise, I paid for them ..

I cannot follow. You mean for an even sound power curve? The speaker under consideration here may even appear a bit brigth if PIR is the concern, compared to 3-way floor standers.

I mean on any given axis the more narrow directive freq. pass-band needs to be lower in level when compared to the more "omni" freq. pass-band. This is regardless of the power curve in-room.

IF you do NOT do this then the speaker sounds "bright". (..and also often "forward" in presentation: as-in the soundstage moves forward of the plane of the loudspeakers.)

(..it's a counter-intuitive perceptual problem.)

Scott, there must be something wrong. If the filters are set to a response that gives a proper curve based on 2pi direct sound, then where the woofer radiates in 4pi/omni, it's level will always be higher. Your direct sound does not sound bright because you designed the filter accordingly, and the in-room response follows the typical slope, more bass than highs, and it does not sound bright either.