Big(ish) waveguide/ horn recommendations … JBL?

Wanting to play with a waveguide/compression driver that’s bigger than the H6512 / d220ti I currently have.

I’ve been eyeing up the JBL 2384 horn + 2432H 1.5” compression driver that appear to be available for about $350 together. Wondering if you guys knew any other options for that size of waveguide (30” wide) for around the same price?

Thanks!!

Hi, here's the jbl 2384 with a dcx464.
Top purple trace in on-axis, and was the tuning trace.
CD was high-passed at 500Hz, and its two sections crossed at 3.8kHz.
10 deg horiz increments to 50 deg.
1/6th smoothing, outdoors about 3m.

jbl 2384 with dcx 500hp outdoor polars.JPG

This quick try at tuning and measurement set is the only thing I've done with the horn so far,..... no listening, no further processing, etc.

Simply wanted to see if it is something to work with, and I do believe it is !!:)

I had 2384 with used 2435hpl.
I think you can get the horn new shipped for under $130.
Wonderful (with eq), crossing 24db@750hz.
I scrolled crossover up to 1khz when pounding the setup (double 15’s).

I wouldn’t push the horn below 750, and I’d go for the 2431 aluminum (I listen to every day).
2432 has some resonances that can be hard on the ear.

If you want to cross under 750hz, people here have had luck with larger compression drivers.

Clean horn, if you want to cross that low anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! Did you guys use smaller horns before starting to use the bigger ones? If so, subjectively what would you say the difference is in listening by getting that extra octave or so of controlled directivity before crossing to another driver?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Not including horns, I've only DIY waveguides 15" and greater. This is because they were built to a set of requirements and my first waveguide was to cross with a 15" woofer.

Round waveguides do that better than wide but short ones with a flat face. If you have one of those, don't make too much out of how wide it is, look more at the vertical dimension.

JBL 2384 horn + 2432H 1.5” compression driver that appear to be available for about $350 .... any other options for that size of waveguide (30” wide) for around the same price?

Since you already have the 1" selenium driver, you could get the 1-inch 2374 waveguide (also 30" wide) for lesser, if you wanted. The following is the price from JBL, a used part must be even lesser.

Untitled-1.jpg

And, I agree with AllenB, these horns are definitely wide but not very tall.

didn't know about the 2374, thanks for the info! I honestly can't tell the difference between these two horns other than the throat diameter being bigger on the 2384 to accommodate the bigger 1.5" compression driver. they are both listed at 15" tall by 30" wide by 15" deep. and both listed as 90° horizontal, -30°, +20° vertical coverage.

1" CD version is crossed at 1300 Hz, and the 1.5" version is crossed at 630 Hz. I wonder if this is just a manufacturing optimization having them be the same? Looking at mark100's off axis plots, in the horizontal space the waveguide controls directity well below the 1" crossover point.

if playing at lower levels could you cross a 1" CD down at 750Hz, or is that just asking to kill the driver?

3722_front_z_original.jpg

4722_front_z_original.jpg

With a 4th order filter, the D220Ti could easily cross below 1kHz, not 750, but maybe 800-900 Hz. However, before you try anything lower than that, I suggest you wait until someone who's been there confirms the same.

I think member 'Badman' has the 1" 2426 drivers on these 2374 horns at 700Hz or so, maybe you could ask him.

All the best.

Last edited:
Ok got another question for you folks… if I wanted to eventually experiment with 1.4” CDs, what’s gonna work better, the 1” horn drilled out to 1.4” or the 1.5” horn with that .05” step. My guess is the 0.05” step is not a big deal but I have no experience in these matters.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Even a small 1" CD can attain reasonable levels crossed at 500Hz on a waveguide that doesn't load that low using a first order crossover. A worst case scenario you might say. If you don't do all of those things at once then you should be in business.

750Hz is where many DIYers cross their 1" CDs.

Well, according to the 1W/1m curve, even on the smaller horn, the driver seems to manage about 104dBSPL (@1m), so maybe if you don't apply even 1W (the usual case), you could then possibly get to 750Hz. A larger horn would definitely load much better down there. You could use a steeper filter, in case you're not sure.

But note that the primary resonance of the driver is only slightly above 400Hz, so 750Hz maybe around the minimum you should get to (standards vary). Besides, usual listening distances are also greater than 1m. Nevertheless, you should have no problems matching this to a 90-95dB/W Hi-Fi woofer.

Cheers!

Untitled-1.jpg

Well, agree, but the resulting THD is often not acceptable to some but, again, standards vary. It's however unlikely that the driver would be "damaged" by a home-experiment (even without a horn), so the OP could try and see if he/she likes what 750Hz sounds like. Looks like we're reaching a point where things are subjective.

Keeping the above curve aside for a minute, it's the acoustic impedance of the OP's bigger horn that decides the lowest frequency he could get to, i.e. if it still has a decent percentage (say >50%) of its HF acoustic impedance at 750Hz, it's going to be just fine, technically also. And one thing that's sure about both 2374 and 2384 horns is that they both load well at 750Hz.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have to say that I have not used the Selenium. Different diaphragm materials may respond differently to extreme travel, if that is a factor multitask. Thanks for pointing out how I might have mislead.

That said, hitting the limit is easy to hear and not something I would have accidentally overlooked. I also do high level measurement sweeps full range.

AllenB said:
Different diaphragm materials may respond differently...

The D220Ti has a titanium diaphragm, whereas other Selenium models such as D305, D405 etc. are available in both phenolic and titanium.

In my opinion, the OP could still try 750Hz on the 30" horns, albeit at lower SPL (< 104dB) and a LR4 filter, provided the curves are accurate.

multitask said:
iv blown multiple sets of these with an active 1300hz 2.order. no problem damaging it at all imo.

Could you please share the application, power level and SPL at which you were using these drivers. Was it a modified JRX ? Just a guess. ;)

Last edited: