Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2021, 11:52 AM   #31
newvirus2008 is offline newvirus2008  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
similar throats and angles but different lengths and mouth sizes...
What you show is the truncation of the larger horn to a smaller one, hence the ripple in the response.

But, the symmetric JRX PT horn is definitely not a truncated version of the Screenarray that has a built-in tilt (asymmetry) in it, they're so different from each other!
Old 19th June 2021, 12:46 PM   #32
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvirus2008 View Post
truncation
Indeed.
Old 26th June 2021, 01:27 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
For both questions.
I just happened to notice that the Hornresp pictures you show in post #30 uses a rather large throat, about 3 inches or so, whereas the Selenium D220Ti in question has a 1-inch wide throat.

From the pictures in #30, I feel that the throat diameter appears strongly influences the LF capabilities (and loading) of the OS "waveguide", because a larger starting diameter/throat you would be able to get a slower flare rate and good LF loading.

Also, it's worth noting that the JBL Screenarray horns have an initial pipe-like section after which the actual flare begins. I guess, that would certainly make a difference in terms of flare-rate when compared to the JRX 338800-001 horn that begins right at the throat.
Old 26th June 2021, 03:37 PM   #34
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

I'm just trying to recall where we were at with this, but IIRC there was a point that was explained by the throat resistance being down by half at 3k, down to 10% at 1k5, and yet the response is not down 3dB until 750Hz. (Edit: yes, that loading is not that important. There was another point as well about the mouth.)

The units I've used are cm... those are 1"CDs being simmed.

And thirdly, I get the feeling you are not convinced by what I've shown. Why not do some sims of your own to demonstrate the point.
Old 26th June 2021, 05:53 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB
The units I've used are cm... those are 1"CDs being simmed.
OK got it now, I had the impression that the red line on the throat of the horn was what was supposed to be 10cm or 4 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB
I get the feeling you are not convinced by what I've shown.... Why not do some sims of your own to demonstrate the point.
I already understand (from literature) that the loading offered by an OS depends on the wall angle and the throat size, and had already accepted in post #27 that it may not be very useful to specify a cutoff for such profiles. Nevertheless, we're still talking about same angles and throat diameters, i.e. similar flare profiles, which may not be the case with the horns in question.

I'm not very conversant with Hornresp (though I have it), which was why I was looking at what you were showing, else I could have gone simulating myself, just as you say. Besides, I do not know if Hornresp can add a pipe to an existing flare.
  Reply to this post

Hide this!Advertise here!