Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

B&W 700 Series Tweeter Repair
B&W 700 Series Tweeter Repair
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #1
purple602 is offline purple602
diyAudio Member

Default B&W 700 Series Tweeter Repair

Hi Folks,

I would like to tap your brains for repair on a Bowers Wilkins 700 Series Tweeter. I have attached a thumbnail schematic. Its the classic and almost hilarious story of kids pushing in the dome and wrecking voice coil. B&W spare parts in Australia list the replacement part ZZ14137
as unavailable. I have tried replacing it with the ebay diaphragm but results very unsatisfactory.

Ay suggestions on how I might proceed? Anyone reputable who make replacement parts for B&W or any way I might replace the whole assembly? If so how to match a replacement tweeter to the B&W crossover?

Many thanks

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 703 tweeter.JPG (88.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by purple602; Today at 03:23 AM.
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #2
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I would search for a faceplateless design tweeter (perhaps tymphany-oc25sc65-04) and adjust the x/o to accomodate for good listening experience but that would have involved measurements and know-how. Is bowers unit a 1" class drive unit?

I suppose buying another B&W product like a central speaker is out of the question for spare parts purposes only.

Last edited by Lojzek; Today at 08:55 AM.
Old Today, 09:06 AM   #3
purple602 is offline purple602
diyAudio Member

Thanks Lojzek.

Yes, its 25.9mm. Working through some x/o adjustments would defiantly be a stretch assignment, but one I would really enjoy no doubt. I have rebuilt a few x/o's that have had damaged parts, but would need some guidance on that task. I wonder if there is any reference material out there might help.

I am keeping an eye out for matching products on the secondary market. Irony that so many B&W products that come up for sale have damaged tweeters But yes I am keeping a look out for a smaller set in the series that has working tweeters. I also have two spare units from the previous B&W series the CDM series, the assembly for which seems very similar to the ones I need, slightly shallower so would require some adjustments to housing.

Thanks again for your advice, It's much appreciated.

Luke

Last edited by purple602; Today at 09:23 AM.
  Reply to this post

B&W 700 Series Tweeter RepairHide this!Advertise here!