Speaker cable connectors: Solder or Screw?

These are about the best crimpers available for 10 AWG - 24 AWG. $55 USD.

Ancor double crimp ratchet tool
Buy Ancor 703030, Double Crimp Ratchet Tool - Mega Depot

I am not saying you need a crimper this good... but there is never any need to pay more than $55 for a crimper... and if you DO pay this much, it should be as good as the Ancor tool... I bought an earlier version of this tool 20 years ago, and after 1000's of crimped wire connections in a marine environment, the tool is in perfect shape, and I never had a crimp failure.

J.

Last edited:
It could be a problem only if you leave many meters / feet connected and wound into a coil.
It will be a giant inductance greater than the resistance.
You have implied that I am a troll, apparently because I had the temerity to express the opinion that this was not the case.

I now feel obliged to expand on the physics of the situation as I see it.

Coiling a single conductor wire would have a negative effect as it would add inductance.

Coiling a twin conductor cable would create a common mode choke that has inductance only for common mode signals i.e. for signal currents that flow in the same direction in the pair of conductors.

A coiled loudspeaker cable carries normal mode (differential) signals i.e. currents that flow in opposite directions. These currents produce cancelling magnetic fields, and hence no added inductance.

I am happy to be corrected, but hopefully in a respectful manner.

Last edited:
Know the problem well having mine fused together when I was real young, which over time has slowly ruined the rest of the spine, so take your time!

Thanks for the advice, it is precisely for this reason that I was postponing the arthrodesis, but the time has come, the pain can no longer be borne every day and there is no stomach that can hold so many painkillers for so many years ...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Did the job today. Decided to use Cardas Quad-eutectic and Cardas rosin rather than the Cardas Tri-eutectic, as I thought it would flow better. Also used the 100W iron but I would have been just fine with the 50W.

See pics below.
I don't like how this looks at all. You've got the signal passing through a solid solder bridge here. Using both set screws and then flowing hot solder in and then further tightening the screws while the solder is still molten is the ultimate. When it's molten, it acts like a lubricant. I have experimented with this procedure while listening to music and the immediate effect on sq during the moment of final tightening while the solder is molten was "astonishing" to say the least. ;)

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
I don't like how this looks at all. You've got the signal passing through a solid solder bridge here. Using both set screws and then flowing hot solder in and then further tightening the screws while the solder is still molten is the ultimate. When it's molten, it acts like a lubricant. I have experimented with this procedure while listening to music and the immediate effect on sq during the moment of final tightening while the solder is molten was "astonishing" to say the least. ;)

Wiring a speaker up that way is WAY overkill.
Particularly a such a smallish system up on stands. (judging from the photo)
What I'm saying is, that wiring alone is capable of powering a 1500 watt space heater without trouble.
And I sincerely doubt that any more than 50 watts is ever needed for that speaker.
But, alas, some are so concerned and obsessed with their perception of such things.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
What I'm saying is, that wiring alone is capable of powering a 1500 watt space heater without trouble.
And I sincerely doubt that any more than 50 watts is ever needed for that speaker.
But, alas, some are so concerned and obsessed with their perception of such things.
Your enthusiasm precedes you as usual and it's duly noted. However paying attention to the statement will help you understand what is being communicated. That way you can make an informed response. :)

I don't like how this looks at all. You've got the signal passing through a solid solder bridge here.
The way I look at it is that the outer strands of the wire will be electrically bonded to the inner wall of the plug's receptacle along its entire length.

Your experiment of soldering speaker plugs whilst plugged in and playing music is interesting, although the procedure sounds tricky to perform! :)

Here are a few pics of my system:

Ongaku Means Music | Flickr

My speakers are Avantgarde Duo Mezzo. 18 Ω nominal impedance, with a sensitivity of about 107 dB/W/m. I never play more than 1-2 watts I don’t think.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The way I look at it is that the outer strands of the wire will be electrically bonded to the inner wall of the plug's receptacle along its entire length.

Your experiment of soldering speaker plugs whilst plugged in and playing music is interesting, although the procedure sounds tricky to perform! :)
So here is what I did way back when just for fun...Hardwiring your whole system.... - Page 4 - diyAudio

Joined 2009
Paid Member
That was 40 years ago, Pete, when your hearing was obviously much more acute! :D
Sure, but the conclusion doesn't change. If you paid close attention to the sequence of events, you noted I started with a very good mechanical connection but ended with a startling result.

This is probably where the controversy regarding single strand vs multi-strand cable stems from, however inadvertently. It's easy to make a hard intimate mechanical connection with single strand but not so with multi as I demonstrated. The least one should do is twist and under that pressure solder the tips of multi-strand before inserting the ends so at least they operate as a team.

Btw, non sequitur just muddles the issue.
Benny Hill would have put it another way. :)

Attachments

• Benny Hill Quote.jpg
    Benny Hill Quote.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 55