Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Speaker cable connectors: Solder or Screw?
Speaker cable connectors: Solder or Screw?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2021, 08:57 PM   #11
miglto is offline miglto  United States
diyAudio Member

I think that's a good choice.

One more question: I am using Cardas solder which is pretty thin so I don't think there's a lot of flux inside. Should I paint a little flux on both surfaces to ensure solder flows well?

Thx.
Old 6th May 2021, 10:02 PM   #12
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Sounds OK to me.
Old 6th May 2021, 11:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks makes sense.

I am using Cardas solder. What do you think of adding just a little bit of flux to the connector and cable surfaces before soldering?
Old 9th May 2021, 01:57 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

One more question: I have a Weller WES51 solder iron with a screwdriver tip (has a flat surface to transfer more heat to bigger surfaces). This is a 50W iron wand. Is this good enough to solder bananas properly and fully or do I need something more powerful for this job?

Thx
Old 9th May 2021, 03:22 PM   #15
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

I see it enough, the power of the welder is important for a good weld, but that is empirical, it depends on the surface to be welded vs. the required temperature, the important thing is to understand the concept of welding. Tin and / or lead easily adheres to hot surfaces, so you should always clean the soldering iron tip before soldering and do not rest the soldering wire directly on the tip of it and then try to make it adhere to the surface cold.
First you heat the surfaces to be joined simultaneously, and rest the solder on it, when you see that it begins to melt, only then can you join the three physical elements. Otherwise it will be a bad, cold junction.
Welding wires usually have fluxes inside, so it won't be necessary to apply external fluxes if you use welding wires of this type. Look for tutorials on YT, there are many on how to get a good weld.
The crimping method is good, and it achieves a good electrical connection, if it is firmly made, no surface rust will form on the joint, which is the only thing that could be counterproductive.
As you can see, I am not an advocate of expensive audiophile cables that promise miraculous results, which does not imply that I would not use them in my audio system if they were given to me, they look pretty !

Last edited by academia50; 9th May 2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 9th May 2021, 03:28 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

That said, in the world of "gold ear" audiophiles, the controversy over speaker cables has also moved to wire speaker connections.
The vast majority prefer crimping and avoid soldering.
Old 9th May 2021, 04:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I believe the Weller WES51 has adjustable temperature, so set it to max.

Provided the wire receptacles in your Z plugs are not heavy gauge metal (which would act like a heatsink), your 50W iron with screwdriver trip should do the job.

Hopefully, you are about to find out that you are worrying unnecessarily, and will soon be reporting back your success!
Old 9th May 2021, 09:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Galu, what do you advise the OP?
Lead or lead-free solder ?
Old 9th May 2021, 09:13 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

He is using Cardas solder.

See post #13.
Old 9th May 2021, 09:25 PM   #20
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
Banned

I like Cardas, makes a nice joint.

Speaker cable connectors: Solder or Screw?Hide this!Advertise here!