2.1 Boom Box Design Questions

Hi, is there any calculator to help give me a clue on a 2.1 stand up boom box style enclosure ? I have the Digital Amplifier Board 2.1 TPA3116D2 DC on its way,

the goal is to have a semi portable enclosure with maybe 2x 6.5" and 1x 10" in a stand up box about 1200mm high. that way I could use a sheet of plywood for the whole thing......Does anyone have any ideas cheers Brett

Something like this sharp .......Would it matter much with all the speakers in the same area?

Attachments

• Speaker.jpg
    Speaker.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 129

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I dont want it to over heat.....is there a better board ? or a mod

So id still need a crossover

Hi brett, sorry to spoil the fun. Anyhow, you could just try the amp and see if it is ok for you.
The board does not really overheat, just the inductors get rather hot but i suppose not so much to be dangerous. There is probably some minor oscillation, thus the high idle current - could be a problem for battery supply.
For me the switching on thump for subwoofer was annoying. The op-amps for subwoofer-filter thump when the supply voltage divider cap charges (plus coupling caps charging). The board does not have any switching on delay, but you could add one to solve this problem. Have a look here: TPA3116D2 Boards

Filter for the L+R channels may not be necessary, if you build closed boxes with the right rolloff.
Stv

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
i just found the frequency response graphs that i measured with my board:
bass filter is 12dB/oct with -3 dB at about 60 Hz.
sat responses look ok, but channels were about 4dB off (see pink and red, with same potentiometer settings).
MAX means bass/sat pot on maximum setting. MED/MEDIUM is pot on medium setting.

i also did an overlay of top and bottom PCB layout, to see what could be done with the board. maybe it's of some use for you!
cheers, s

Attachments

• bass-resp.png
    bass-resp.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 84
  • all_resp.png
    all_resp.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 81
  • board.jpg
    board.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 72
@Lojzek, the drivers I have been looking at are below: not including the 2.1 ebay amp @12 bucks nzd
$12.00 6.5" full range Wide Range PA Loudspeaker - 16.5cm / 6.5 Inch 50Watts RMS - 8 ohm - Sale Price !! - Sound Division & Surplustronics
$30.00 10" bass Polypropylene Cone Hi Fi Woofer - 10 Inch 125 Watt RMS - 8 Ohms - Sale Price !! - Sound Division & Surplustronics
$7.50 7" tweeter Piezo Horn Tweeter - 7 Inch x 3 Inch 150 Watts - Sound Division & Surplustronics
So about 61.50 NZD which is about 44 dollars usd not including the wooden enclosure,
yes there is 240 volts in the shed a
So maybe 100usd for the lot

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
... you also need a DC power supply between 12-24 volts, a "laptop-brick" with 19 V and around 5 A should work.
with the TSP of your speakers you will be best off with separate closed enclosures for the 6,5" and one closed (or even bass reflex, this will produce a small bass hump) enclosure for the 10" woofer.

Last edited:
I have given up on those cheap Chinese amps, mine arrived with parts missing off the board, and even tho they were in the bag and i refitted them it is not a powerful amp and heats up the output filter coils......

I get more pleasure fixing a older commercial amps like the SU-810 I picked up for 5 bucks,

Id still like to build the enclosure with one bass speaker
How can I do this but using a 2 channel amp

Attachments

• speaker test.jpg
    speaker test.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 3116 amp.jpg
    3116 amp.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 39