New project: 3way 22W/4851, MW16TX-8, T25B in WG

Long time ago I started this project, originaly with R2004 and MW16P, but after working on another projects and experience with T25B without WG, I decided to revive this project and update drivers to textreme and Be Bliesma.
I plan LR2 between woofer and mid at around 300Hz, and LR4 at ~2200Hz between mid and tweeter.
From already available measurements of TX from hificompass, and my measurements of T34B in larger WG, I have really high hopes in this driver combo and expect superb results, both measured and sonically. TX and T25B should be good sonic match but I am little bit afraid of Scan Speak and Satori combination, as I had already troubles to match 28W and MW19P. Ok, one never knows until it is tried and listened to.
Measurements will come soon, tweeter mounting adaptors are in progress.
So for now, at least some images of drivers in the cabinets.

Attachments

• 20210429_171911.jpg
    20210429_171911.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 20210429_171930.jpg
    20210429_171930.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,275
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When I did my project with the MW16TX, I faced a hard decision between the Bliesma T34B (well known excellence), TW29TX (possible excellence). I am very enthusiastic about your project.

What material are you using for the front baffle? Do you use CNC to carve it?

draki, hifijim, thank you...

diyggy, thank you, actually it is easy :), it takes some modelling in Solidworks, sending data to the company and have it machined on CNC. All woodwork and finishing is done by the carpenter, we already collaborate for a years and my projects would not be possible without him.

This project started 2-3years ago and I was fond of Satori drivers back then. These days I would choose 15WU. But anyway, cabinets have been already done for MW16, so TX was obvious choice and I think/hope it will be good match to T25B.

Hi Pida,
How can you make a so much beautiful front baffle ? Awesome ! How to learn to do that ? Expensive I assume.
A more focussed question about drivers selection please. Why the Tx over a Revelator or a Wavecores for instance ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
ahaha Pida, easy for you ! Certainly not for me.:D

Congrats, it really is a next level of DIY... :) ... and like a lot the mat black, way more elegant than piano gloss everywhere. looks like a little a Focal Audio range of Loudspeaker with a one piece front bafle with smooth angles as well.

I have done the first measurements of T25 in WG and MW16TX. Mic M30, distance 85cm, gating 5ms.
I am very happy with the results, but just that 3dB dip in tweeter response spoils otherwise perfect set of off-axis responses. Centering of the tweeter in WG was not perfect, I have to modify mounting bracket, and also gasket between tweeter and the baffle has to be improved. That all could lead to the improvement.

I also took impedance measurements to be able to put it all to Vituix and model overall response. All lokks good so far.

Attachments

• 20210613_132521.jpg
    20210613_132521.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 664
  • 20210613_123043.jpg
    20210613_123043.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 694
  • Shamal exp v1 six-pack.png
    Shamal exp v1 six-pack.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 672
  • T25B WG5inch H 0-90deg.png
    T25B WG5inch H 0-90deg.png
    132 KB · Views: 665
  • MW16TX-8 H 0-90deg.png
    MW16TX-8 H 0-90deg.png
    236 KB · Views: 688
Centering misalignment is now ~0.5mm. Foam sealing gasket is further from the dome, so I will add another closer to the dome. But I gave it very low chances it will improve 12k dip.
I actually think it is related to inverse surround and throat diameter, as 30mm diameter is very close to 12kHz wavelength. This WG was not optimized for T25, at the moment I found out T25B fits in, a wanted to try, and current results look good enough to continue. I am thinking of experimenting with paper gasket that partially covers the surround.....
I also suspected the dip could be caused by the reflection from MW16 frame running into WG profile, but I would assume the dip would dissappear off-axis.
T34B in similar but larger WG does not show that dip, and the only difference is in convex/concave surrounds.

Last edited:
Long time ago I started this project, originaly with R2004 and MW16P, but after working on another projects and experience with T25B without WG, I decided to revive this project and update drivers to textreme and Be Bliesma.
I plan LR2 between woofer and mid at around 300Hz, and LR4 at ~2200Hz between mid and tweeter.
From already available measurements of TX from hificompass, and my measurements of T34B in larger WG, I have really high hopes in this driver combo and expect superb results, both measured and sonically. TX and T25B should be good sonic match but I am little bit afraid of Scan Speak and Satori combination, as I had already troubles to match 28W and MW19P. Ok, one never knows until it is tried and listened to.
Measurements will come soon, tweeter mounting adaptors are in progress.
So for now, at least some images of drivers in the cabinets.
It looks like VERY interesting and promising project!

Hificompass, thank you, your PuriBliss WG project was an inspiration.

Update: I am trying to make LR2 but as expected it seems impossible to sufficiently linearize MW16TX and supress breakup combo starting ~5kHz at least -20dB. Sevel RLCs would be needed, and it is not worth the effort and parts count.

Last edited:
I don't think that LR2 is possible with the T25B + waveguide either if you plan to have an Fc at around 2 kHz.

Hifi Compass showed a Fs at around 850 Hz for the preliminary samples of T25B but current production is at 1.1-1.2 kHz (clearly shown in data sheets) and consistent with the 4 samples I measured. So for minimum distortion I think that third order (acoustical) is the minimum acceptable for the otherwise excellent T25B. I have great success myself with LR4 at 1900 Hz

No progress with the solution for 12k dip yet.

JCGA I fully agree with your T25 crossover frequency assessment. LR2 2k is not viable here. And same goes for MW16TX, so LR4 2k is optimum, and dispersion patterns of both are matched at this frequency.

Boden,
I assume you refer to the power response dip. It is caused by vertical behaviour. When I remove verticals from the calculation the dip dissappers. There is vertical polar map showing off-axis dips at Fc.