Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

8inch recommendation for 3way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2021, 10:49 AM   #1
vassilis1984 is offline vassilis1984
diyAudio Member

Default 8inch recommendation for 3way

Hi guys

I will try to build a three way, I already have the mr13p mids and the satori tweeter .

I would like to use an 8 inch woofer and I have these under consideration.

Peerless hds 830869
Scanspeak discovery 22W/8534G00
sb acoustics sb23nrx
sb acoustics sb23cac
seas ca22rnx
Dayton rs225
Old 12th April 2021, 10:50 AM   #2
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

What are your design targets?
Old 12th April 2021, 11:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

3 way, the baffle will be around 10 inch wide, possible xo points at 400hz and 2500hz.
The target is get some decent sounding music out of it.
Old 12th April 2021, 11:46 AM   #4
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Box volume?
Bass extension?
Efficiency?
Others? Or, in other words: why did you look at the drivers you mentioned? Are there any other drivers that you looked at but do not consider for specific reasons?
Old 12th April 2021, 12:11 PM   #5
diyiggy is online now diyiggy
diyAudio Member

Troels Gravsen has just made public his first ScanSpeak 3 ways classic.
Nice guy as it is also rich for learning purpose.
Old 12th April 2021, 12:14 PM   #6
kapelli is offline kapelli  Poland
diyAudio Member

Yes, these are all from what I would call cheapest but good woofers (so.no cheap Chinese house brands or pro drivers). For slightly more you can purchase also Eton 8 inch and why not.to look at SB23nbac?

Is there any sonic qualities you want to achieve? Bass need to be fast, hard, soft, deep?

Seas albo makes few other drivers in similar price, made from different materials.
Old 12th April 2021, 12:15 PM   #7
Ken Newton is offline Ken Newton  United States
diyAudio Member

There are many good 8-inch woofers. You didn't mention your budget, and some good performing woofers are better values than others. Also, much will depend on the type bass enclosure you are planning. That said, two which I like are the Peerless NE225W and the Visaton AL 200.
Old 12th April 2021, 12:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Peerless ne225w looks great, and I already have the ne180w so I know it is good, but my dealer asks double the money he asks for the others. My budget is around those woofers already mentioned, entry level but good.

I want it to be quick, I listen to rock and h.Metal music, my favorite subwoofer are Peerless xls, nomex cone. Awesome drivers, very fast. Volune is not a problem since for a single 8inch per side I will not have problem to make it work properly.

@kapeli sb23nbac is virtually the same as sb23cac
Old 12th April 2021, 01:07 PM   #9
kapelli is offline kapelli  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassilis1984 View Post
Peerless ne225w looks great, and I already have the ne180w so I know it is good, but my dealer asks double the money he asks for the others. My budget is around those woofers already mentioned, entry level but good.

I want it to be quick, I listen to rock and h.Metal music, my favorite subwoofer are Peerless xls, nomex cone. Awesome drivers, very fast. Volune is not a problem since for a single 8inch per side I will not have problem to make it work properly.

@kapeli sb23nbac is virtually the same as sb23cac
Oh yes ceramic is only metal covered by ceramic in SB as far as I know.
If you want fast bass than I would stay away from SB - they have tons of good qualities, but I never hear and read fast and SB together lol. Vifa and Wavecore costs indeed double than those mentioned by you. Personally I would go for some Seas or Dayton (if price is in much favour here). I was having similar issue some time ago, and purchased SB23nbac, as they tick all of my marks, but most of the people told me that Seas will provide better sounding bass (so more in-depth, more shades of bass and so on) than SB. Dayton is unpopular in my place (much more expensive than in US). And seas have paper, laminated paper, metal and CURV cones in their line, so plenty to choose from. Seas L22 was actually first one on my list, but I had L18 in the past and didn't liked the look of it at all
Old 12th April 2021, 01:16 PM   #10
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've always been interested in the 830869 but it seems some have mixed experiences. None say it's terrible, and most of what I read is positive but it seems like asking it to do too much may leave you unsatisfied.

There are a few who used them like Mike Chua IIRC and there are some builds online detailing the different things they've tried with them. It's worth a search IMO.

That said, some of the other drivers mentioned are quite nice from what I've read and may rule out the 830869. I look forward to seeing your experiences.

8inch recommendation for 3wayHide this!Advertise here!