Looking for Full kit w/ Knockdowns - Options < $1k

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

It's been a few years since i built a pair of OS for office desktop, love those. Now i'm looking for small - mid size towers for my home living room for primarily music 80/20 Tv/movies. For now I will NOT be using any subs, so I would like something that can handle some low end, although i don't need chest thumping bass, I primarily listen at moderate - low volumes, and wide range of music from Jazz, electronic, indie rock, no metal for me. My LR is approx. 1,650 CuFt (13 x 15 x 8.5), I sit about 9-10' away. I will be driving the speakers w/ Emotiva separates, PT-100 pre / A-300 (150xch amp).
Here are some other factors I'd like to meet...

- Full kit w/ knockdowns, possibly even assembled crossovers
- Under 42" tall, under 12" wide, depth might be an issue as these will be placed fairly close to the back wall.
- Good off axis response / wide dispersion as we have an L shape couch with seats far off to one side.

Lastly, I have been considering buying commercial speakers but having a hard time choosing, and I know I can get more value for dollar with DIY, but i want to make sure they are very good if not better than ones I am considering. These are Kef Q750, ELAC Ref Debut DFR52, Klipsch RP-5000F, Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 / 11.4.

You would have a much wider choice of designs if someone - either a commercial CNC firm or a friendly hobbyist - could make the cabinets for you: few kits of the type you're looking at seem to have flat packs available.

I can only think of two, both from Parts Express: the Solstice TMM, which will be $1200 incl cabinets, and the Amiga TM, $370. You would still need to assemble the crossovers, but some stores such as Meniscus Audio will assemble the XOs for you.

DIY Sound Group has a good range of kits which include the pre-cut baffle, which is by far the hardest part of the build apart from finishing.

I suspect the Solstice or Amigas would give the commercial speakers strong competition, the Solstice is regarded as a 'reference quality' and the Amigas have excellent reviews.

Geoff

Last edited:
You might want to check if there is a woodworking club nearby and see if someone there is interested in building a cabinet for you at a reasonable fee.

We have people approach my club from time to time with projects they want built.

Most clubs have a website with a way to contact them.

You would have a much wider choice of designs if someone - either a commercial CNC firm or a friendly hobbyist - could make the cabinets for you...

Since I have a nice shop, I have not been paying attention to the CNC option for the last few years... I was very surprised at how easy it is to have panels cut and machined, and its quite affordable as well...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.