Help chosing high SPL drivers for 3way classic loudspeaker

Hello all !

Not so long time ago, a thought started appearing in my mind..

I was looking at this excellent project Faital-3WC-15

And in mist of it all, i bought pair of brand new Visaton BGS 40 for fairly cheep BGS 40 - 8 Ohm | Visaton

I know i know, its not the same as that Faital 15PR400, but hey, im on tight budget... 1/4 of 15PR400 price to be exact..

Anyhow.. now i need to find appropriate drivers to go along with these Visatons.
I plan on using almost identical box design as Troels.

Since Visaton peaks around 92db @200hz, which i think is good place to cut it i was thinking it could be paired with rest of the drivers from Troels design, aka.

Midbass - 18 SOUND 8NMB420 (8 Ohms) - Eighteen Sound - Professional loudspeakers

Tweeter - Satori TW29RN-B-8 - https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...ori-tw29rn-b-8-ring-dome-tweeter-black-8-ohm/

What do you guys think ? Would such abomination actually work ? Will some other driver make a better fit with that Visaton ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you've already bought the woofers, you are left with no choices but to make them work somehow. However, with a different woofer would need different box dimensions and different EQ settings, even if crossover frequencies are retained. The new woofer also shows an Xmax of 8mm which is good for a 15". On the whole, I think it should work reasonably well for the money.

Last edited:
:(What? I read those Visaton speakers are for musicians... Instruments and P.A.
So in other words :very few decibel under 100 Hz

It does fall off rather quickly... but i guess you get what you pay.. if my budget allowed me i would get something more hi-fi.. but hey.. its not all that bad, with some cabinet magic and some proper crossover we can fix some of its P.A. orientation :)

If you've already bought the woofers, you are left with no choices but to make them work somehow. However, with a different woofer would need different box dimensions and different EQ settings, even if crossover frequencies are retained. The new woofer also shows an Xmax of 8mm which is good for a 15". On the whole, I think it should work reasonably well for the money.

Yes, exactly my friend.

I have a guy that will help me redesign cabinets and make a crossover fitting to the situation.

Troel's design is just an inspiration, i would love nothing more that i could just fork over money and make exact setup but hey.. life..

Thats why im looking for drivers recommendation that would go well with Visaton, il take care of rest.

Try to use the same drivers as the other design and make adjustments for the woofer, so that changes remain minimal. Although the sloping response of the woofer would be better with the box (and much better with EQ), its contribution would be minimal (200Hz-300Hz) for which it has 8mm of Xmax (if data is accurate). I suggest that you go ahead with it but be prepared for a bigger box and amplifier.

Last edited:
Now that the OP has the woofers already, there's no point in brooding over it. I placed emphasis on the midrange and HF which consist of a bigger part of the listening spectrum, using a design that the OP already admires.

Note that the results on frequency response graphs do not include the enclosure or the room. First, let the man get some sound for the money he has spent, and later make amendments if he doesn't like it. At least, let him try the drivers he has, before deciding their worth (and fate).

Last edited:
This is an absolute folly. Those drivers will never build anything like a good hifi speaker. The growls design is a professional bass unit that allows a slightly different approach to hifi design.

What you have is a cheap pa mid range speaker. Cutting off at 200hz is cutting of what it's designed to do.

There's a lot of ways this project will go wrong.... Literally too many to list. There's no way to make it good.

Sell the drivers and start again with a bit more planning and less haste. Or you'll just waste your time and money building crap a $100 set of old speakers on eBay will outperform.

Dear DrZoidberg,

If you're on a really tight budget, have a look at PAudio speakers made in Thailand that are possibly available in your country. This brand has reasonably priced copies of popular expensive models made in US and Europe.

All the best.

Those look really nice, but retailer is in nearby country, which means i have to pay almost 50-60% more for customs and import :/

Greets!

FWIW, in a classic BR alignment [Vas/1.44, Fb = Fs], HR calcs a ~ 97.74 dB/2pi mid-band efficiency [200 Hz]. For 300 W, need a 19.05 cm/7.5" dia. vent x 14.9 cm/5.87" long.

Great, thanks for info, it will definitely be a BR box, to be decided ;)

Instead of making it 4-ways, you could use the extra mid-range pair to assist (augment) the 15" woofer below 200Hz. Besides, cabinet and room gains would also help, depending on the situation.

Hmm interesting idea, but, how would one go about it ? Drivers itself are not vented, would they be able to withstand constant LF workload ?

Also regarding ribbons, i included a link with specs and graphs. I also read here on forum, ppl say they are decent. By specs alone, original Satori ring tweeter seems better, but this ribbon i can get right away, without going in trouble of getting them imported/smuggled etc...

As far as room goes, its a decent sized living room around 60-70m^2

how would one go about it ? ... would they be able to withstand constant LF workload ?

You'll have to make a crossover for the extra midrange according to it's power capability and then equalise the combined response of both. I must say, it's complicated but with a woofer like that and an extra pair of mids, that's what you could do.

Room dimensions matter, area alone is not sufficient to estimate room effects. Plus, distance of placement from wall, floor etc all matter.

Seems better IME to XO at ~300, 1800 Hz [based on polar response], put the 2nd mid on the back in bipole, rolled off just to get efficiency up, then whatever driver is appropriate for ~1800-6 kHz to cover the high mids [good place for a compression loaded waveguide ;)] and use [multiple] ribbons for top end 'air' to the limits of the recording.......or just double up the ribbons to increase efficiency since they're rated to 1800 Hz.