Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

what do you use to fill gaps in waveguides/horns?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2021, 08:26 PM   #1
sheeple is offline sheeple
diyAudio Member

Default what do you use to fill gaps in waveguides/horns?

I have a pair of flange-mounted Eminence horns and a set of Dayton H6512 waveguides to compare sound for a 2-way speaker. I will mount both in a simple chipboard prototype box and see how they measure and sound to my ears before I advance to the final routed cabinet.

Despite the quality Eminence screw-on adapter EB 2 SA there is naturally a small but pronounced gap between the aluminum adapter and the waveguide's plastic. I made some pictures for you, the gap is only thin, but I think it has to be filled and also the plastic to be smoothed where it protrudes, for which a file can be used. But what do you use to fill/modify the surface of waveguides/horns? Here it should stick to the waveguide I think. Can you name some suggestions which I can buy preferably in Europe or give the technical term for a brand product which may only be available on your continent?

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1590.jpg (729.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1591.jpg (617.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1588.jpg (847.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1587.jpg (873.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1586.jpg (810.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1585.jpg (826.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 29th March 2021, 08:32 PM   #2
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

For something reversible I would try some modeling clay or blue-tack poster putty.
Old 29th March 2021, 08:48 PM   #3
sheeple is offline sheeple
diyAudio Member

I was rather thinking of something permanent but also, clay may easily fall off once dried because it has no power to stick to a non porous surface like plastic.
I also asked the my local art material supply for a form of sticky non-hardening material that a user once suggested but they could not come up with it. I think it was modelling clay the sort children use to their fun and the demise of the interior. Someone had experience with this?

Last edited by sheeple; 29th March 2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 29th March 2021, 08:51 PM   #4
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

True, but it would let you see what the change would be without risking anything in the short term.
If the Putty/Clay works then just duplicate it with Epoxy Putty.
Old 29th March 2021, 08:55 PM   #5
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

Duct seal. It remains pliable. Very inexpensive. In the HVAC dept of hardware stores.
Old 30th March 2021, 12:29 AM   #6
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

Red clay will work just fine, and you can leave it in there if it works for your needs
Many Italian brand cars use red clay for sound proofing cars from the 50ís up to the 70ís
Old 30th March 2021, 02:06 AM   #7
newvirus2008 is offline newvirus2008  India
diyAudio Member

Are automobile body fillers / wood fillers suitable for this purpose ? I have plans to CNC a wooden horn in parts (slices) and have been thinking about using wood waste powdered and mixed with glue.

Sheeple: I suggest using some plumber's teflon tape on that screw.

Last edited by newvirus2008; 30th March 2021 at 02:16 AM.
Old 30th March 2021, 02:16 AM   #8
Top Shelf is offline Top Shelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would suggest plumbers putty because it stays flexible but it has a bad habit of drawing the plasticizers out of plastic making it brittle with cracking ensuing.
The gray duct seal that i have used on residential and commercial ductwork I've gotten from the hvac suppliers does harden and is very toxic during application.
Maybe try clay mixed with a bit of wood glue so it won't fall apart.

Bondo works great for most speaker apps.
I would rough up the surface w 80 grit for whatever you end up applying.

HTH.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 30th March 2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 30th March 2021, 02:24 AM   #9
Brinkman is offline Brinkman  United States
diyAudio Member

The Gardner Bender 1lb brick of duct seal I use to add mass to woofers (for T/S measurements) is still pliable after 6 years use. It is pretty harmless: https://www.gardnerbender.com/-/medi...20210329153443

Quote:
The Duct Seal 1 lb. Compound Plug is ideal for sealing and protecting gaps, holes and conduit openings against dust, moisture, drafts and noise. This easy-to-handle compound is non-conductive, non-toxic and non-deteriorating and will not harden or form a skin under normal conditions.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Ben...t-Seal/4595233

Last edited by Brinkman; 30th March 2021 at 02:49 AM.
Old 30th March 2021, 02:31 AM   #10
Top Shelf is offline Top Shelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeah that product would be much easier for the average joe than the soupy mess that we use.
When your tongue and sinuses go completely numb after 8 minutes using it, you know it's bad sh!+.

what do you use to fill gaps in waveguides/horns?Hide this!Advertise here!