Horns or waveguides for 1” compression drivers

Just how low do you want to go with a 1" driver? Most of the horns mentioned in this thread are small and short, I can't see them playing very low.

The OP wanted something lower than 1.5k but didn't really specify by how much.

Personally I'd stay an octave above the nominal lower cut off for any horn.
Besides there aren't many 1" drivers that go lower than 1.2-1.5k anyway except may be that one BMS driver which I think does 900Hz according to the manufacturer.

Faital HF108 or HF108R was in sight and mated with 10” or 12” midrange crossover frequency should be somewhere closer 1kHz than 1,5kHz.

Reactions: 1 user
My personal favorit ist the Visaton HT-21. I use it with Peerlees DFm2535. On first view, it looks like the RCF H100-typs and copys. But is shows a better directivity towords the highs. Goes down to 1.5kHz - maybe a little deeper with 44mm driver. Probably a little small for your purpous ?

Hi Joern,

I am looking for a horn to cross to a 10" with my Peerless DFM2535. I thought I had seen them all but thanks for pointing this horn out.

Have you got any measurements of it? I would be particularly interested in polar measurements if you have them, please?

Many thanks mate.

Hi

this is my measurement Visation HT21 with DFM-2535

Distanz: 1m, free without enclosure
15°-steps

It will play together with a Monacor SPA110PA crossed around 1600-1700Hz.

Hope that help.

Attachments

• VIS-HT21-DFM2535-WInkel.jpg
    VIS-HT21-DFM2535-WInkel.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 536
The Visaton HT21 looks remarkably similar to the Beyma TD194/TD164, both are cast aluminium but the HT21 seems to be slightly smaller.

The Visaton costs nearly twice as much as the Beyma though.

If you buy two the Beyma is almost exactly half price of the Visaton ie one HT21 costs £78.37 and if you buy two Beyma TD194 they cost £38.66 each.

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread I am investigating horn flares for one of my projects.
I am looking at the following flares and would welcome comments/ suggestions / alternatives?

Beyma TD194 1" Bolt On Horn Flare 90 x 40 Dispersion

Beyma TD235 1" Bolt On Horn Flare 90 x 40 Dispersion (discontinued)

18 Sound XT1086 Die-Cast Constant Coverage HF Horn (1" Throat) one of the best?

Thanks

DM :)

sometimes a K-tube works as the better alternative to a small waveguide or horn

They aren't difficult to make. A one inch format tube could be 5.5" long with a 1/8" starting gap and half ellipse pattern slot.

The Transylvania product was very nice and had a 2 degree downwards slope to its sidewalls - but a straight pipe will work about the same.

You might even roll one from paper as a quick proof of concept.

As a K-tube the size of "The Tube" is quite small., there's no gain on the bottom and
its characteristics work out to not needing any contour EQ in the highpass network for "flat" response.

http://zelfbouwaudio.nl/forum/downl...id=a4838c2dba0b4c210824fa099cd22eeb&mode=view

K-Tube + fieldcoil project - forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl

Last edited:
Hi,

I am using 18Sound NSD1095N + XT1086 and to my ears there is a problem. My subjective guess is that I can hear the distortion of the diffraction part.

Does anybody know of a better sounding alternative ?

I used the ND1090 (exactly same as the NSD1095 but with normal Ti diaphragm, not TiN coated) and it's sound character was unbearable for me for long term high quality home listening (too metallic, harsch in hifi terms, resonant, even if EQ-ed to flat). My subjective guess is that you hear the NSD driver as "bad" not the XT1086 horn. But of course I can be wrong.