Seas A26 Devore Style Build

I'm really interested in building a clone or at least a speaker inspired by the Devore Fidelity Orangutan o/93. Has anyone tried this before? I'd be using the Seas A26 kit from madisound presumably, though I'm open to buying each part separately. I've never built a non-kit speaker so I'm a bit over my head but have the woodworking and electronics skills just not the speaker design skills. Any recommendations on how to approach this? I see that several others here have tried something similar so hoping to hear some expertise or experience. Specifically I'm also interested in how to adapt the kit I referenced into a larger cabinet. Can that be accomplished with changing the crossover? Does it stay the same? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Joined 2011
The Dynaco A35 had a larger cabinet than the A25, with the resistive vent on a baffle inside.
The Dynaco A50 had an even larger cabinet with an internal vent, and used two woofers.

http://p10hifi.net/TLS/classics/images/dyna-A35-plans.gif

dyna-A35-plans.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll have a look at that.

Quick look, the cat378 would be a squeak too loud to match the a26, but it does match the eminence b102.

So if you used an a26 wide open, you’d need a resistor and change the single cap compared to the stock 5.6uf (I think) seen on the cat378 manufacture’s graphs.

Redesign

I am currently workin gon a re-envison of the A26 enclosure.

If you do not have the volume constraints, moving from the 35 litres in the A26 to something as large as 70 litres.

The deVore is pretty close to a golden ratio. Plus adequate bracing.

dave

I have been looking at this woofer for quite some time to use in an active system (First Watt B4 X-over) bass enclosure underneath a variety of tweeters (compression drivers, Heils, Raal etc.) and would be very interested to see your box design.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
(First Watt B4 X-over)

Lust.

The planset is coming. I have 2 more cut plans to do, finish the what’s this box section with brief history and discussion of the box and why you would want to use the ”optional” aperiodic vent. And then a section on the actual damping, and visualizations.

I also say that i have been planning on taking the A26 a step further, but it was deep in the queu and you have a fellow member for pushing it to the top :^) So he will deserve a thank you.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
SEAS 2-WAY A26RE4 + Morel CAT-378 - YouTube
If you go to the comments, Alexey posted the two crossover options, his favorite changing an inductors in the high pass, and adding an inductors to the woofer low pass. Glenn.

I built this version using the Morel CAT 378. I used an old Advent cabinet at 1.5 ft3, sealed. I had to adjust the series R for the tweeter to blend with the DCR of the woofer inductor I used. It's a lovely sounding combo, but in my cabinet it does not produce any low bass. Looking forward to seeing what Planet 10 comes up with.

I call mine an O89, with respect to the woofer sensitivity spec. I have never heard a Devore speaker, so I cannot comment on the sonic similarity.

I built this version using the Morel CAT 378. I used an old Advent cabinet at 1.5 ft3, sealed. I had to adjust the series R for the tweeter to blend with the DCR of the woofer inductor I used. It's a lovely sounding combo, but in my cabinet it does not produce any low bass. Looking forward to seeing what Planet 10 comes up with.

75ltr with a 2" diameter x 5" to 7" long port will give you more bass, and with such a low tuning frequency it shouldn't sound like a ported speaker can.