Seas A26 Devore Style Build

I’m wrong. Just working on a drawing. The 2 drivers are both crammed into the smaller sub enclosure.

So to get an A35 or A50, one would increase the A26 volume appropriately and add in the partition.

dave

I have a pair of A40XL Dynacos that my dad bought new, and I got them as hand-me-downs though I actually consider them better than anything he bought after. The tweeters unfortunately need replacing due to my youthful exuberance with a Hafler 500. The tweeters actually hung in there during the years of my Hafler 500 but got raspy a few years ago even though I am now running a much more sane power level with an extensively upgraded ST70, I guess it was just lurking wear and tear and eventual age. Need to get new tweeters put in so that I can start enjoying the A40XLs again

Do you have the right tweeter? I know my A25XL had a very different tweeter than my standard A25. I would think this would also apply to the A40XL vs A35.

Yes, the A40XL has a 1" dome like the A25XL

For a "for now" solution I have a pair of Peerless DA25BG08-06 aluminum domes that people have reported have worked well as replacements in A25XL speakers. Advantages being that they are pretty-much a drop in fit, and the specs look pretty suitable, and, beyond people reporting that they worked in A25Xls, they seem to be pretty well-liked in general.

For "for someday" I have a pair of Wavecor 30mm waveguide-loaded TW030WA12 that seem like they'd go well with the A40XLs' minimalist crossover. But to do that I will need to do some surgery on the speakers' front baffles in order to fit the TW030 units' larger faceplate. If the "Peerless, for now" work well, "now" may last a long while.

Last edited:
If you increase depth but keep width, height, driver placement and spacing the same, box size only affects bass response F3 and below; known-good XOs are not affected by that.

If you change any of the front baffle dimensions, you'll be changing the response from both tweeter and woofer by some degree.

Last edited:
Interesting tread, but the cabinet that Planet10 made is not really what Devore tries to do (probally a good cabinet but to small).

I'm since a while thinking about doing something with this Seas A26RE4 woofer and that Devore also made me think about it. I heared the thing and did not like the tweeter and think the cabinet is not good tuned for the woofer also. I also heared the original A25 as an unkle had those in his house and i know the quality of that A25 woofer.

So this rainy evening i started to calculate and tought maybe make an MLTL with the A26RE4 woofer (it has the right specs for it) and add a modern high quality tweeter like the SB26ADC. I have some rough id's that may become something real. Did somebody already try that?

maybe make an MLTL with the A26RE4 woofer (it has the right specs for it) and add a modern high quality tweeter like the SB26ADC. I have some rough id's that may become something real. Did somebody already try that?

I don't know, but my instinct is to say this is moving too far away from the standmount 1+8"-10" format of the A25/Devore/Snell/Audio Note "thing". If one is to build a floorstander (I assume), you might as well add another woofer or midrange; add more ways and no need for a TL by that point.

BTW, what's so special about the Seas woofer? I would have thought there may be similar sized drivers out there that could also do this job, maybe Satori WO24P 9.5"

Last edited:
I don't know, but my instinct is to say this is moving too far away from the standmount 1+8" format of the A25/Devore/Snell/Audio Note "thing". If one is to build a floorstander (I assume), you might as well add another woofer or midrange; add more ways and no need for a TL by that point.

BTW, what's so special about the Seas woofer? I would have thought the Peerless 830667 would be just as suitable + cheaper; though maybe the Seas goes a bit higher.

I think you're missing the point here.

First, that Seas has a very natural rollof with almost no resonance. So it can be used without a crossover filter and still sound relative flat. The tweeter you pair with it surely need a filter, but not this woofer. And even with filter it will sound better and will be easier to crossover without that resonance. That was one of the big points why it sounds so good about that Dynaco A25 (with the precestor of the A26RE4 as woofer) also. The Peerless you mention has a very strong resonances and need a rather steep filter for the crossover if you go that high.

And the point is a woofer that can go high enough to a dome tweeter, but still low enough to not need a subwoofer for most uses. Of course you can make a 3 way, it's done many times. But that is not the goal here. And the devore 93 that use this driver is a floorstander btw...

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Paid Member
I'm since a while thinking about doing something with this Seas A26RE4 woofer and that Devore also made me think about it. I heared the thing and did not like the tweeter and think the cabinet is not good tuned for the woofer also. I also heared the original A25 as an unkle had those in his house and i know the quality of that A25 woofer.

I have a pair of the Seas A26 built per the Madisound kit as my main speakers. I've run them with a Naim, an ACA, an Aleph J, an ICEpower class D, and a MoFo amplifier, and the tweeters are very demanding. IMO they show the strengths and flaws of any amplifier and preamp they're paired with. The woofers otoh only seem to care about damping factor (they seem to do well with choke loading).

I have a pair of the Seas A26 built per the Madisound kit as my main speakers. I've run them with a Naim, an ACA, an Aleph J, an ICEpower class D, and a MoFo amplifier, and the tweeters are very demanding. IMO they show the strengths and flaws of any amplifier and preamp they're paired with. The woofers otoh only seem to care about damping factor (they seem to do well with choke loading).

Could you expand on this some more?

In your opinion what amplifiers have worked the best for you?

I've got a kit that I've been planning on building for almost a year now and stupid life keeps getting in the way. I think I'm finally going to get a chance to get started on them in the next few weeks.

I'm thinking about a whole new system sometime this winter, specifically adding a preamp with remote. I've almost pulled the trigger on a Schiit Freya+ a few times and it's still probably my top contender due to the versatility and relatively reasonable price point. I have access to quite a few amplifiers to try before I invest into something more high-end myself. I would love to hear what has worked well for others.

Hey there folks, checking back in -- wondering if anyone could share photos and first hand experience with any of the larger enclosure designs discussed here.

(I am waiting until after the holidays to start with my speaker projects in the hopes that Santa brings me a new router and a few other important bits. So for now I'm still information-gathering and starting a new DAC build)

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Could you expand on this some more?

In your opinion what amplifiers have worked the best for you?

I like the sound of my MoFo monoblocks over my ACA with these speakers. It has louder, cleaner bass and perhaps slightly mellower treble, probably related to the architecture differences (lower output Z, choke loaded, common-drain) of the MoFo. I tried a class D amp for a while and it was a little scary-sharp, even with a B1 Korg NuTube preamp in front of it. I like class A and I don't play loud.