Eqing passive speakers with miniDSP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do people use a minidsp with their passive speakers? I can’t seem to find any info on people using eq after the passive/amp/eq/ receiver.
Some things like furniture and will effect the response and fixing little things from the response after the fact I could see as beneficial. Are there any drawbacks with adding a minidsp to a passive speaker?

Does it hurt performance at all having another thing in line? I know some dsp’s can add noise but has that been your experience? Sound wise just having a DSP in compared to just the passive crossover.
I’m already eqing all my subs that have plate amps so I guess I’m already using dsp with another crossover in line but that’s sub freq. Does sound quality change in the mids and upper range with one?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
To the first question, yes there's always that possibility, but it doesn't have to be a problem... Anyway, if all you want is EQ, you could do that on your computer (without your processor) if you use it as a source.

To the second question that is also possible, and some take a lot of care in how it's done. E.g only converting D to A once.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
what is your signal source? If you play only digital there are miniDSP models that are SPDIF in and out so you pick your own DAC. In that case should be transparent when set flat. Some people claim to be able to hear the ASRC that miniDSP use, but I personally can't.

Its not a passive speaker but I think it has the same principal I.e. speaker has fixed crossover and the dsp is use for full spectrum smoothing/sound tailoring.

I have a minidsp nanodigi which I feed digital music via a chrome cast audio. On the back of that I have four Khadas Tone board dacs and one pair feeds Mackie HR824 studio monitors which may as well be a power amp to passive speakers. Anyway, my room is an odd shape and has lots of reflection especially in the bass.

As they say, pictures speak louder than words so below is before and after, left and right traced in REW at my listening position, definitely better with dsp!

Left speaker (before/after)
49540227682_649eb3196d.jpg

Right speaker (before/after)
49539503718_1b34d7f4fb.jpg

Left / Right after
49540227667_72f2aecf40.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.