revisited, woofs in series............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2 same woofers, wired in series.

Assuming same voltage going in, it would be equal loudness ?
yes, it pulls half the current (because Z is doubled)……….

I'm thinking of 6db 2-way, and the woofs excursion would be halved since 2 of them.

And yes, I know of combing...……………..

Thoughts ?

Wire in series and get 2x resistance (1/2 current) so -3dB electrical drop, then +3dB acoustic gain for 2 drivers, nets out at 0dB gain.

Wire in parallel and get 1/2 resistance (2x current) so +3dB electrical gain, then +3dB acoustic gain for 2 drivers nets out at +6dB gain. Assuming your amp can drive it.

Last edited:
Its not that simple of an answer in the practical world. Although you net zero gain in theory, the acoustical coupling (depending on how close the drivers are situated and at which frequencies) you will be awarded some mutual coupling. If the baffle is large enough, you will likely end up with 1.5 - 2dB gain at frequencies lower than the equivalent of 1/2 wavelength of driver spacing. The larger the baffle and the tighter the spacing, the greater the mutual coupling will be. This means you're dealing with sort of a driver array.

It's easy enough to verify.

These are a few HornResp sims for different driver configurations in a closed box in 2Pi space. The SPL is indicated by the red line and number at the bottom of the graph. There are also a few pics of models built and tested. This holds true for ABEC3 / AKABAK3 BEM simulations as well.

As you get closer to the floor, or wall, or corner you will reduce the radiation space from 2Pi to something less so you can get some more LF gain.

Attachments

• SingleDriver.jpg
    SingleDriver.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 282
  • TwoSeriesDrivers.jpg
    TwoSeriesDrivers.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 280
  • TwoDriversParallel.jpg
    TwoDriversParallel.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 276
  • TwoSeriesTwoParallel.jpg
    TwoSeriesTwoParallel.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN7436r.jpg
    DSCN7436r.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCN7739r.jpg
    DSCN7739r.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN7821crop.jpg
    DSCN7821crop.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
That's interesting. I'd like to see actual measurements of those systems.

There is a good writeup on this by Vance Dickason on this very topic and I believe its also in the loudspesker design cookbook. I build a lot of multiple LF driver systems and always see some form of coupling gain.

What if you connect 16 8 ohm drivers in 4 parallel chains of 4 drivers series each 32 ohm making system back to 8 ohm. I cannot for the love of god understand that there will be any higher system sensitivity only 1/16 movement pr driver pr watt and of course 16x power handling and max SPL. Energy cannot magically appear.

1 driver, Power = 1 W, 20Log(1) = 0.0 dB
2 drivers, Power = 2 W, 20Log(2) = 6.021 dB
3 drivers, Power = 3 W, 20Log(3) = 9.542 dB

what I meant by "power" is radiated acoustic power.

But when does 'mutual coupling' and 'boundary reinforcement' apply?

If I put one speaker in the middle of the room and one on the ceiling, put the mic between them and set them to the same pressure I still expect to see +6dB.

I would assume these rules apply when the drivers are close enough to be correlated signal and "in phase", so probably 1/4 wavelength or less... For widely spaced drivers, it probably gets complicated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.