Morel MDT30 v Morel ET338

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For quite a while my speaker design was settled. It's three way with a sub; main speakers being SEAS L18, Morel EM1308 and Morel MDT30. I won't bore you with the xover details but the sound was seamless from top to bottom, plenty of depth and ambience and a wonderfully natural timbre - especially piano and acoustic guitar. Jazz made you feel like the performers were in the room with you. Very inviting and enjoyable.

So about 15 months ago I decided on an upgrade. The MDT30s were about 20 years old and probably past their best, so I replaced them with new ET338s. Changed the capacitors from Ansar Supersound to Jantzen Silver z-cap and the resistors from Jantzen superes to Mundorf Supremes.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was with the sound. That ability to put performers in the room was diminished, piano sounded dull and rounded and acoustic guitar just sounded wrong. The sound as a whole was a bit light and 'weak', lacking body and dynamics. Very polite is a good description.

I've spent hours fiddling with the crossover to try and get back the sound I had. I did improve things but never felt happy. Along with the horrible thought of how much all the new parts cost I was about ready to give up. I even changed the caps back in case it was them, but it made no difference. Last week I came to the horrible conclusion that all else being exhausted, it must be the tweeters. So I decided to go back to the MDT30 and give them a try.

First problem to overcome was the cabinet. The MDT30 faceplate is quite small and no longer fitted the cabinet. Thankfully the faceplates on Morel tweeters have similar fixing holes and I was able to fit the ET338 faceplate to the MDT30 body.

So how did it sound? Firstly a slight negative: the MDT30 isn't as sharp at the very highest frequencies. It's a known MDT30 trait and isn't really problematic unless you are listening for it. But, and here we go, my 'in the room' sound was back, piano was full and resonant and guitars totally natural. Sax comes along with solidness and the ability to convey expression - much the same for vocals. Finally, I am able to relax and listen to music again!

One small added benefit. The MDT30 has an even low frequency roll off, but is a bit ragged. The different profile of the ET338 faceplate cures this though I'm not convinced it alters the sound in any way.

I was never very happy with the Morel CAT298 until I gave it a 4th order crossover.

816941d1581626374-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-monitor-audio-r300-md-morel-cat298-cabinet-jpg

816942d1581626374-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-monitor-audio-circuit-cat298-jpg

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/203461-restoring-monitor-audio-r300-bookshelf-speakers-5.html#post6083131

I suppose new ferrofluid might be a plan too after 20 years. Blue Aran have it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.