3/4" dome tweeter comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Given a x-over freq of 3.5-4khz, slope TBD, how would you rate the Hiquphon OWI,II, the Eton 19SD1, Accuton C12-6 and the SS8513. This of coarse assumes a well behaved midrange up to this freq.

In the same application would any of the 1-1.25" domes perform any better? Like the SS/9700, Seas millenium, MDT33, Supreme 110.

slogan2112,

since you're going to xover sufficiently high, go for 3/4" domes, unless of course you want 120dB maxSPL from the entire loudspeaker.

IMO, the very good Seas NoFerro 12 is missing in your list. Distortionwise, it matches ScanSpeak's 19mm domes and quite possibily also the Hiquphons (so far, I haven't seen the Hiquphons being so much better to justify their rather hefty price tags). The NoFerro is a soft dome, obviously w/o FFL, and fs is 1,100 Hz, so plenty of headroom for your 3 kHz xover.

Prices in Europe are around 36 EUR (45 USD), hence much cheaper than the Scans. (One of the rare times Norwegian Wood beats Danish Dynamite. ;))

Cheers,
BK

Oops, no idea, but I have checked on Seas' nowergian web site - no can find, either. Hmmm.... there is a description on Intertechnik's site (a German distributor). If you don't mind reading the plot in German :clown:

http://www.intertechnik.de/

click on the Seas logo and then on "Seas Lautsprecherubersicht als Download" (quite on top of the page) to get the pdf (2.5MB). Find the NoFerro 12 on page 8/23. They give "H 1069" as part number, maybe your US distributor knows more.

Sorry I can't help more & Cheers,
BK

PS @ Mikee: hey, how's the weather downunder? What's the problem with domes? Compared to what - ribbons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.