Would anyone like to comment on my first crossover design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure I've made it far too complicated trying to make the tweeter perfectly flat but hey.

SEAS T29CF002 E0040-06 CRESCENDO TWEETER - EXCEL SERIES

Wavecor WF146WA06

2 x Wavecor SW182BD03

I won't be offended.

Attachments

• Seas Tweeter.PNG
    Seas Tweeter.PNG
    411.7 KB · Views: 272
In my latest project I was trying to do something similar and to smooth down the tilted response of a tweeter, so I understand very well the need of pursuing a flat response. I succeeded in my endeavour with the tweeter, but during my work on the crossover there was a point where I managed to obtain even better overall frequency and phase response than the one I ended up with. What stopped me of using the “better” design was the sound of it - somehow dull and not engaging at all. What I mean is that only your ears can tell and they are the final judge.

Good luck with your project :)

-@llex

This will be difficult on amps being around 3 ohms for a quite a wide frequency range plus the phases do not look good, ideally the two drivers should be coincident in phase for at least an octave above and below the crossover points. How does it look if you invert the mid, a deep null down to around 50dB is what you are aiming for at both crossover points.

If you want flat a multi amp and dsp/active solution may be easier to get what you want.

I’m no expert but these are the areas I would be looking into.

kimmo, where is the directivity information coming from, has there been information input for it?

Program handles single responses as omni so small directivity effects at XO can be caused by different physical locations of drivers. Impossible to know in this case - and it really does not matter because whole process i.e. tweaking crossover with single on-axis responses is bad idea. 3-way with 5" mid is far from the worst case, but I will not support or encourage to do anything like this. So Power & DI and Directivity charts are useless without properly measured data.

Last edited:
Program handles single responses as omni so small directivity effects at XO can be caused by different physical locations of drivers. Impossible to know in this case - and it really does not matter because whole process i.e. tweaking crossover with single on-axis responses is bad idea. 3-way with 5" mid is far from the worst case, but I will not support or encourage to do anything like this. So Power & DI and Directivity charts are useless without properly measured data.

Ok it's just clicked, you are the developer of VituixCAD? Congrats :D

What's wrong with a 5" mid in a 3-way?

I'm embarking on a DIY speaker build for the first time and I'm trying to decide on which drivers to use. I used Vituix to at least make sure I could gt the drivers to work together.

I will read your guide, thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.