2-Way with two different in parallel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Members
I am new to diy projects. I built a sealed enclosure with
Peerless SDS-830656 few year ago. I have this kenwood
S-511 3-way vented without crossover(all parallel)which was stripped down as the mdf was in bad condition, very old though but the woofer, tweeter and midrange in perfect condition for a rebuild. The internal Vb is around
14 liters with a 10mm mdf. The woofer is 165mm and effective cone diameter is around 128.5mm, the magnet diameter is around 60mm and the mounting depth is around 61mm. The woofer, tweeter and midrange are all surface mount, the max PE is 70 watts per channel.
I would like to couple this woofer with peerless 830656 in parallel for a sealed enclosure. Since, there are ts parameters available for kenwood woofer, can I use peerless woofer as reference. What will be the internal vb for sealed enclosure for these two woofer and a tweeter with a 4 inch diameter.?
Can I build this cabinet without crossover? If not what
crossover point should I use? The fs of my tweeter is
around 1300hz.
Thankyou

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Can you take pictures? f you can do so please post pix of the drivers showing front and back. AFAIK there are no Kenwood woofers with magnets that small that could handle 70 watts so that must be a total systems rating for maximum input. There must be some XO in the old box and it may be a tiny capacitor soldered straight to the tweeters input.
No; you can't use the Peerless specs for the Kenwood woofer. For tweeters the minimum recommended is usually the Fs *2 using a 2 element circuit, at 2 octaves above resonance you can use a single capacitor, so 5000Hz + maybe.
Pictures really help tho, otherwise I am just guessing

Hi Members
I am new to diy projects. I built a sealed enclosure with
Peerless SDS-830656 few year ago. I have this kenwood
S-511 3-way vented without crossover(all parallel)which was stripped down as the mdf was in bad condition, very old though but the woofer, tweeter and midrange in perfect condition for a rebuild. The internal Vb is around
14 liters with a 10mm mdf. The woofer is 165mm and effective cone diameter is around 128.5mm, the magnet diameter is around 60mm and the mounting depth is around 61mm. The woofer, tweeter and midrange are all surface mount, the max PE is 70 watts per channel.
I would like to couple this woofer with peerless 830656 in parallel for a sealed enclosure. Since, there are ts parameters available for kenwood woofer, can I use peerless woofer as reference. What will be the internal vb for sealed enclosure for these two woofer and a tweeter with a 4 inch diameter.?
Can I build this cabinet without crossover? If not what
crossover point should I use? The fs of my tweeter is
around 1300hz.
Thankyou

You absolutely need a crossover, you risk to damage your amplifier when the three parallell drivers may reach very low impedance. The tweeter needs protection from bass-signals.

If you cant measure the drivers performance it will be very hard to get a good result. There are ready-made crossovers to buy but they are not made for your drivers and your box.

Maybe a new diy-build using your Peerless driver and a good tweeter would be better choice.

a project: Peerless 830656 suggestions

Last edited:
Sorry Moondog, Pete and Revi
I can confirm that Kenwood S-511 is without a xover.
The woofer, mid and tweeter are connected in parallel.
Since, it is without a xover, I was thinking of a electronic xover. Yes max input is 70 watts.
I have attached pics of s-511.
I was wondering, if I can get program for frequency and imp. measurement from frd consortium. I am getting error from pvconsultants.com
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• s-l400 (1).jpg
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 22072013.jpg
    22072013.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 83
  • 22072013(002).jpg
    22072013(002).jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 22072013(003).jpg
    22072013(003).jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 22072013(005).jpg
    22072013(005).jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 86
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.