14khz or 20khz top end; you can't hear the diff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Appreciate you sharing that perspective it's good to know.

I've worked with loud equipment quite often, from chainsaws to planers to AK47's and grenade simulators.

You fire an AK47 on full auto with no ear protection, your ears literally whistle for quite a while after.

I had not thought of this perspective.
Yea, you gotta not do that stuff. I mean not protect your ears. I work with steel studs in my business and I can't toss a remnant I cut off with my snips onto a concrete floor without it hurting. I have to set it down gently or wear ear plugs.

Nearly all of my loudspeaker projects have featured small tweeters. I do this, because I find that speakers sound really dull if they can't play to at *least* 20khz.

For instance, my reference speakers were Gedlee Summas for a few years, and the lack of output above 16khz was noticeable.

Right now, the PC that I use for about 10-12 hours a day is setup in my kitchen. I have one of those HTPC cases so that my wife won't kill me.

Something that's baffled me, is that nobody else in the house is irritated by how the thing sounds. My PC produces high frequency noise which is MADDENING to me. I literally want to throw it in the trash.

The fans are super quiet, and I have all the BIOS settings dialed in to keep noise low. I think the sound that I am hearing is coming from the switching of the power supply.

I just did a measurement - see attached. At 16khz there's a sound produced by my power supply that's about 30dB louder than the midrange. There's a lot of low frequency sound generated too, but that doesn't bug me at all. It's there, but it's not obnoxious. But that high frequency peak! UGH. (Note that I put the mic right next to the power supply, to focus on what's making the noise. Scale is 50dB.)

I have a new power supply arriving tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't do this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fletcher Munson curves, for comparison's sake.

Attachments

• 2021-01-22 17_19_02-.png
    2021-01-22 17_19_02-.png
    381.3 KB · Views: 174
I was tested at work 2008 and was still good to 14 khz. I have diligently worn earplugs in noisy areas and can still hear the difference between a Steinway or Baldwin Acrosonic piano and those dull Yamaha consoles. OTOH none of the men who run the church can hear the difference. Men with hobbies like deer hunting, bass boats, carpentry. People buy pianos with their eyes, paying rapt attention to the quality of the suit the saleman is wearing. I've heard several stories from old women about the beautiful green eyes of the Yamaha salesman at the dealership in our area.
So I'm quite happy with a Peavey SP2g speaker that rolls off at 17 khz. I haven't been able to hear the howl of TV sets since they set the howitzer off at ROTC camp 1969. But my hearing is still precious. I don't believe the age correlation of first post is an iron law. I think it has more to do with tendency of men in rich countries to destroy their ears with too much power tools, engines, firearms, fireworks, or rock & roll. In addition, keeping wax out of the ears requires more work at age 70. BTW I run my music rig at 1.5 vpp into 8 ohms or about 1/8 W base level. Speakers are 101 db 1w1m. I have 72 W available for the cannon shot in 1812 overture.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have a sub woofer that goes to 14 Hz in room; I like large pipe organ recordings. 16 Hz pipes come through very convincingly; if you haven't experienced true deep bass like this; you are missing out! But, below 8 KHz; my ears seem to have a fairly flat response which I am very happy about for sure. I was exposed to loud sounds off and on in my 60+ years but nothing long term that has caused hearing loss. My loss is purely age related. I used to work in a TV and stereo repair shop in high school and college; I remember when the TV horizontal oscillator or output would squeal away at 15,750 Hz and it would drive me nuts! Haven't heard those frequencies in well over a decade, maybe 15 to 20 years now?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
We did acoustics in the deep ocean under US Navy contract. We had a 6 ft, diameter transducer that would do 5 Hz at a very loud level. You could "hear" the fundamental, sort of, but mostly it was the harmonics we heard, the fundamental is more felt. There is a reason elephants have such large ears...look it up..."INFRASONIC" is the proper term for below normal human hearing...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.