Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

VituixCAD2 - virus warning
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2021, 09:34 AM   #1
GezMoor is offline GezMoor
diyAudio Member

Default VituixCAD2 - virus warning

Not sure which forum this should be in, so appologies if this is the wrong one.

My Anti Virus (Norton) flagged this software as containing a trojan yesterday and immediately quarantined and deleted it. Not sure why it just happened as I have had the software installed for about 2 months. I can only assume Norton did a database update and thus found a previously unrecognised threat.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:04 AM   #2
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

As there are false positives, it would be good to hear from others on this, but be careful.

Do you have a version number? I know the version is difficult to control because VC auto updates and it cannot be turned off.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:05 AM   #3
Indiglo is online now Indiglo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Most likely a false positive, happens all the time. I just checked the lastest download with Panda Antivirus - No Virus found.
VituixCad only checks for updates, then gives you an option to install the lastest version. You can turn off "Check for Updates"

Last edited by Indiglo; 22nd January 2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:10 AM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
You can turn off "Check for Updates"
Thanks, then I will stand corrected
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:14 AM   #5
Indiglo is online now Indiglo  Australia
diyAudio Member

From the toolbar > Options, then goto the bottom right hand corner "Check Updates"
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:16 AM   #6
GezMoor is offline GezMoor
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
As there are false positives, it would be good to hear from others on this, but be careful.

Do you have a version number? I know the version is difficult to control because VC auto updates and it cannot be turned off.

I can't be specific about the version as it's uninstalled now. But it had been prompting me to download the latest update for about a week, which i never did. So I would presume it's the version prior to the latest one.

I'd be cautious about accepting that software is virus free on the premis of the scan of just one AV product personnaly. AV comparison tests have consistently shown that it's common for individual products to miss individual threats that other products succesfully find.

To be clear, i'm not categorically stating it's not a false positive. Just I think it's prudent for people to do their own scans and make sure they're happy there isn't an issue on their individual machines. Especially as it was a trojan, which is potentially one of the more damaging/ominous types of threat.

Last edited by GezMoor; 22nd January 2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:03 PM   #7
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Norton (maybe Antivirus Plus?) started to warn about Heur.AdvML.B in revision 2.0.61.0. Microsoft Defender in my Win 10 Pro, Norton Power Eraser and F-Secure online scanner say it's okay. Setup was packed first time with Inno Setup 6.1.2, but also that looks clean.

Few years ago Avast was very keen to warn (about everything). Maybe it was the same heur..., but the result was that user(s) uninstalled Avast.

Thread for VituixCAD
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:08 PM   #8
HammerSandwich is offline HammerSandwich
diyAudio Member

Virustotal's an interesting service. It scans with dozens of AV packages & shows which, if any, flag your file.

Results for latest Vituix installer ( 0 / 83 detected )
Old 23rd January 2021, 05:07 AM   #9
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

VituixCAD2.exe right after installation.
VituixCAD2.exe

2/69, 2 engines detected this file

VituixCAD2 - virus warningHide this!Advertise here!