Auricap Orientation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all ;),
i have a doubt.
on audience (auricap) site there are the following suggestions:
In loudspeaker crossover applications, if the Auricap is in series, like feeding a tweeter, the black lead connects to the input binding post and the red lead connects to the tweeter. Where the Auricap is in parallel, as typically used for woofers, the black lead connects to the speaker connection that connects to the input binding post and the red lead connects to the other speaker terminal. Follow these same rules for midrange connections where you will have a combination of both.

but to me is not so clear: could someone post me the diagrams of the two positions described ?

thank you

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Red lead connects to the positive terminal in both cases (sorry I don't have a drawing). This way the tweeter cap black lead connects straight to the amp positive output.. and the woofer cap black lead connects straight to the amp negative output. Unless you have a non-standard crossover.

to me was suggested the config you see in the image.

but you write what for the woofer the black must be connected to negative amp

whare is the true ?

:eek:

Attachments

• calc_cr_12db - Copia.gif
    calc_cr_12db - Copia.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 124
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
This comes down to why it is done. EMI sees the outer foil as a shield, and this should be passed to the lowest impedance to amplifier ground.
Where the Auricap is in parallel, as typically used for woofers, the black lead connects to the speaker connection that connects to the input binding post
This is the nearest binding post.

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 123
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
In the really old days of audio and radio, we were taught to put the capacitor outer "winding" on the return side or lower potential or Earth...This was supposed to help shield the "high" side from interference more so than the other way around. I suppose there still may be a reason to do this but it would take very high precision test and measurement equipment to prove or disprove this I'm thinking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.