Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

In need of warmth
In need of warmth
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2021, 07:22 PM   #1
3wayaddict is offline 3wayaddict  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default In need of warmth

Hi,

I have my active speaker system. Which sounds exceptionally good. Though, with good recorded, non offensive music. The system is also extremely unforgiving. Any rock more aggressive than Alice In Chains - Unplugged with distorted guitars and other screaming and harsch chracteristics is unlistenable.

I know that no matter how warm you make it, a resolving, low distortion system will always make poorly recorded music sound bad. But I at least want to be able to listen to it without my ears bleeding.

The system is already guite on the warm side in terms of bass response, I like that. But I just can't get rid of that punishing harshness in the mid/high frequencies. I've tried rolling of the treble with a few dB, and a 2 dB dip between 1 and 2 kHz (BBC dip) but it doesn't cut it. In fact, There's not that big of an audible difference.

Does anyone know how to effectively make the system more forgiving?
Old 20th January 2021, 07:29 PM   #2
celef is online now celef
diyAudio Member

i do not know what speakers or drivers you are using but you should try speakers with midrange dome
Old 20th January 2021, 07:43 PM   #3
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

try to reduce the 2 to 5kHz region, that is where the harsh frequencies are, or at least those who most hurt in our ears. As you have dsp that should be easy to do. take them +/-3dB down and listen if that resolves the issue.
Old 20th January 2021, 07:49 PM   #4
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Might be obvious but you can measure if there is some resonance and adjust crossover to take it out. Otherwise it could be distortion. Have you tried a higher crossover point and steeper slope to see if affects the sound? Is it on listening axis only or everywhere in the room? If only listening axis, rotate the speaker. Anyway, measurements should tell you what to do. Tuning a speaker is iterative process at least for me. Swapping drivers could help until the same issue happens again. Have fun!

Last edited by tmuikku; 20th January 2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 20th January 2021, 07:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm gonna try the dip to between 2 and 5 kHz. I'll measure to see what happens.

It's certainly not distortion as the mid is a SB-Acoustics Satori MR16P-4 and the tweeter is a BliesMa T34B-4 . Though the tweeter certainly doesn't distort, the beryllium doesn't help with forgiveness.

I haven't had the BliesMa for very long so far. So maybe the frequency reponse changed as it burned it. I'll remeasure everything.
Old 20th January 2021, 07:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'd like to try steeper slope, I've read this has some advantages. Though I don't really get how to do that in the DSP. I can change the "Q" of the filter but it doesn't seem to get steeper, it just gets a "knee". Though I will measure it and see what the acoustic response does.
Attached Images
File Type: png Schermopname (36).png (308.5 KB, 660 views)
File Type: png Schermopname (37).png (313.9 KB, 650 views)
Old 20th January 2021, 08:06 PM   #7
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Crossover simulation with full off-axis measurements would help. It's quite expected that too flat axial response with brick box and steep lopes produce bad sound with 7"+34mm drivers in 2-way, but no one knows what should do without proper measurement and design methods.
Old 20th January 2021, 08:12 PM   #8
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

One small part of the problem could be Hypex amplifiers with quite clean but cold and snappy sound.
Old 20th January 2021, 08:19 PM   #9
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

If it's not an eq issue it's most likely diffraction.

Cut a hole in a piece of foam and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by ErnieM; 20th January 2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 20th January 2021, 08:20 PM   #10
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Found some sound samples from the system description thread System Pictures & Description post #3405

In need of warmthHide this!Advertise here!