Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

In need of warmth
In need of warmth
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2021, 11:58 PM   #21
Drofdissonance is offline Drofdissonance  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayaddict View Post
Well I'll be honest with you. I was quite lazy when doing measurments. I wasn't really trying to do them anechoically. Now I did. With a blanked around the speaker. As a sort anechoic tunnel to the microphone.
you should do a bit more reading on how to get your measurements... should be gating the the measurement in the impulse window based on when you see the first reflection from the roof/floor/wall. this is an anechoic measurement.

your blanket is likely reflecting some proportion of sound back towards the microphone ruining the measurement!!!
Old 21st January 2021, 05:46 AM   #22
celef is online now celef
diyAudio Member

Quote:
your blanket is likely reflecting some proportion of sound back towards the microphone ruining the measurement!!!
Indeed
Old 21st January 2021, 07:09 AM   #23
afa is offline afa  Australia
diyAudio Member

The blanket will give the speaker some "warmth"
Old 21st January 2021, 08:53 AM   #24
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

In need of warmth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post
Still not perfect after million DSP presets.
Indeed. It is also as much knowing which ones not to fix.
Old 21st January 2021, 09:30 AM   #25
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
^ totally. It is mostly experimenting, keeping notes, assessing what works and what doesn't, returning to the previous best etc. while having a goal somehow (a reference, or an ideal). Mostly learning and building confidence and having fun But, I feel I've got a lot forward in terms of sound quality by doing so. I can't imagine one could pull the best out straight away unless very lucky or very experienced, it is a long process at first.
Old 21st January 2021, 09:37 AM   #26
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post
or very experienced
Some experience or knowledge is needed for setting targets, and some luck or testing with drivers. After that proper measurement and design methods are needed to implement balanced sound at once without iteration or listening.
Old 21st January 2021, 09:59 AM   #27
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Getting a feel how graphs on simulator screen translates to sound in room needs some experience. Personally I've taken the long route since somehow I feel I need build up confidence to call a crossover done. Confidence on the measurements, simulation, listening, the goal and even to push it a little bit further if possible. This has taken a long time since it is a hobby and sometimes it is just tinkering around while enjoying the music, sometimes a more concentrated effort. I'm sure many would do the process much quicker and call it finished sooner. Having lotsa fun
Old 21st January 2021, 10:02 AM   #28
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

In need of warmth
Not necessarily. I can do the process with detailed measurements, and then room interaction means there is no very good solution unless the acoustic design is modified, or even something simple like room placement. EQ/crossover cannot fix all problems.
Old 21st January 2021, 10:08 AM   #29
celef is online now celef
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
The blanket will give the speaker some "warmth"
indeed
Old 21st January 2021, 10:24 AM   #30
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Targets are needed and implementation should be okay also in mechanical/acoustical design. Room placements and acoustics are independent from sound balancing with crossover. EQ/crossover just finalizes speaker to be as flawless and universal/flexible combination of mechanical/acoustical and electrical parts as possible. With this policy environment does not interfere speaker design. Speaker designing is not to control everything and everyone around the speakers.

In need of warmthHide this!Advertise here!