Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

New guy need some help with old speakers
New guy need some help with old speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2021, 01:30 PM   #1
Tgf05354 is offline Tgf05354  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New guy need some help with old speakers

Posted this under full range which might be the wrong sub forum, so re-posting here.
Hi, looking for some advice. I broke the terminal on my Vifa d25AG35 tweeter and am looking at options for replacing or re configuring my speakers.

My system consists of 2 rather old custom made transmission line units which originally came with KEF b110 woofer and T27 Tweeter. At some point they were rebuilt using a VIFA p13 mid-woofer and the above mentioned D25 (which is no longer available). I also have a pair of 10 inch sub-woofer which I am Bi-amping with a 24db/octive electronic crossover at 90hz (I can also choose 120hz). Im using a pair of Adcom 5400 amplifiers rated at 125W per channel to drive the speakers.
Looking for options
Should I try and replace my current drivers?
Should I try full range with something like the Markaudio 7MS and eliminating the current passive 2 way crossover.
Should I consider a single drive open baffle design
Id appreciate some feedback with options, pros and cons, etc.

Thanks, appreciate any help. If you need more info let me know.
Old 20th January 2021, 02:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found out that I can repair my tweeter with a replacement soft dome voice coil. So I am going that route for expediency.
Old 20th January 2021, 04:08 PM   #3
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a plan, some good tips at Meniscus on Vifa voicecoil repairs:

Vifa D27 Voice Coil - Meniscus Audio

The original metal dome:

https://www.tymphany.com/wp-content/...25AG-35-06.pdf

I don't suppose this new $30 Vifa would sound much different:

Tymphany, DA25BG08-06 - Meniscus Audio
Old 20th January 2021, 04:46 PM   #4
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I broke the terminal on my Vifa d25AG35 tweeter
Can't You try to repair the terminal ? I mean soldering & fixing / gluing a wire there ?
Is the voice coil damaged beyond repair ?
Old 20th January 2021, 05:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

it was Miniscus that suggested the soft dome rebuild. They also suggested the DA25 tweeter, but it would require a larger hole for mounting. Tough decision, but I am leaning towards the rebuild unless someone can give me a compelling reason to go with the Da25.

The terminal is not fixable in my opinion
Old 20th January 2021, 07:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Only difference I see in mounting the newer metal tweeter is you'd need to file off a bit of timber to accomodate the terminals being diametrically opposed. A work of 5 minutes.

A soft dome has a slightly softer sound. They'll both work. No need to change as a pair. Tiny differences.

I think you could toss a coin on this one.
Old 20th January 2021, 07:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You are correct the baffle hole is the same other than the terminals. I miss read the dimensions. I did order 2 voice coils just to be safe. I found the metal cones a little fatiguing so I'm hoping the slightly softer sound will be more enjoyable. Either way I think I'll be satisfied with the results. Appreciate your advice.
Old 20th January 2021, 07:42 PM   #8
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Personally I think the silk dome is a better mate for the P-13. I've done a few Frankentweeters using Vifa Parts and I have a set of aluminium domes here in a Frankentweeter if you were interested in them but the domes do have some small wrinkles.
Full tweeters tho not just the butterfly VC
PM me if interested
Old 21st January 2021, 12:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I don't know if you like delving into crossovers, but there is a famous design by Mr. Lynn Olson that uses near enough your drivers, so would work:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Ariel Speaker Page

You would convert the bass filter to 2mH, 6,8R and about 5uF for a single midbass and attenuate the tweeter 6dB, Depends if you are happy with what you have. Lynn knows what he is doing, but always felt his design worked best with valves.
Old 21st January 2021, 12:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the crossover info. It was probably 25 years ago that I replaced the Kef units with the Vifa's. They came with 2 crossover boards each which are externally mounted. I'm going to see if I can still read the values of the components. Hopefully they're not to faded to read. This has reawakening the audio hobby that was dormant for many years.

New guy need some help with old speakersHide this!Advertise here!