Beyma 12P80ND v2 and Faital Pro 10AK in 3 way open baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I'd like to build some 3 way open baffle using Beyma 12P80ND v2 as a mid and Faital Pro 10AK compression driver for the high frequency. For the low frequency I will decide later the driver(s).
Do you think it can be a good choice? Any particular horn in mind? I am looking at Faital Pro LTH 102, looks OK.
Any ideas for a good passive crossover is highly-appreciated.
Thank you!

It's gonna be hard to make a 3way open baffle unless you implement some substantial modifications regarding 10AK ;-)
Anyway, I enjoy those compression drivers for a while now. They are attached to the LTH102, crossing them at 1000Hz. Faitals 12PR300 play below...
I think Beymas are gonna be OK as well or even better, lots of happy people using them.
Good luck!

It's gonna be hard to make a 3way open baffle unless you implement some substantial modifications regarding 10AK ;-)
Anyway, I enjoy those compression drivers for a while now. They are attached to the LTH102, crossing them at 1000Hz. Faitals 12PR300 play below...
I think Beymas are gonna be OK as well or even better, lots of happy people using them.
Good luck!

What kind of substantial modifications regarding 10AK do you have in mind? Maybe another horn?

Do you use Faital Pro 12PR300 in open baffle?
Thank you!

You just can't have a compression driver open... So it's gonna be a mids/bass open baffle with "closed" highs...
12PR300: I have them open now, had them closed for a while and going to try them aperiodic... sort of... I think that the latter will be the final solution.

I'm learning about dipoles as well. I've been evolving my design which also started with a closed-back tweeter - a Beyma TPL-150H AMT in my case. I learned at this forum that a good starting point is to have dipole back wave up to about 6kHz for back wall reflections. That is why some designs include a back firing dome tweeter.
I did open the back of my tweeters, in fact later added a proof of concept back waveguide and have kept it. Of course this is not possible with a compression driver.

FWIW, I don't remember seeing the 12P80ND on open baffles. Try searching within the Ultimate OB thread.

cheers!

You just can't have a compression driver open... So it's gonna be a mids/bass open baffle with "closed" highs...
12PR300: I have them open now, had them closed for a while and going to try them aperiodic... sort of... I think that the latter will be the final solution.
You are right. Mids and bass will be open and the highs on horn an cd.
I saw this approach on PAP Trio15 Horn1.

I'm learning about dipoles as well. I've been evolving my design which also started with a closed-back tweeter - a Beyma TPL-150H AMT in my case. I learned at this forum that a good starting point is to have dipole back wave up to about 6kHz for back wall reflections. That is why some designs include a back firing dome tweeter.
I did open the back of my tweeters, in fact later added a proof of concept back waveguide and have kept it. Of course this is not possible with a compression driver.

FWIW, I don't remember seeing the 12P80ND on open baffles. Try searching within the Ultimate OB thread.

cheers!
I discovered that I like so much the sound of this Beyma in open baffle that I decided to build this project around it.

Attachments

• IMG20210123114825.jpg
    IMG20210123114825.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG20210123114809.jpg
    IMG20210123114809.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 139
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.