Are Hammond reactor good for woofer crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maybe you know it, but this unit is meant for filtering a DC power supply. For that it needs an airgap. Due to the airgap it needs a much bigger core, Due to bigger core it needs more wire, therefore higher DCR.

You do not need to handle DC current, so you could go for a much smaller core, lighter and lower DCR. I am not saying these smaller cores will be cheaper though :)

Another thing. The specification of 30mH is with the 5A DC current. Besides tolerances that may change this value, if there is no DC current the actual inductance will probably be higher.

1. Any kind of core vs air core is going to create some distortion.
2. A 40 Hz crossover must be for a sub which needs a lot more power and gain than the rest of the audio so a separate amp is the best plan and allows you to use an electronic crossover without the issues of a passive XO.
3. A direct connection between amp and speaker is much better for buffering factor.

You don't necessarily need a 40Hz high-pass for the rest of the system since most speakers are done below 40 Hz. The only reason might be to get more mid band etc power in the other channels.

Last edited:
I really suspect the Hammond coil to be just fine, as it obviously uses the E-core that compares well with the E-96 or E-130 from Intertechnik. There won’t be no air gap, 99 per cent sure. But the jump to 100 per cent will demand ordering one and measure it. I don’t need such a coil though. And even if I would, I’d get the E-96 from IT. I know that one and it’s good.

I really suspect the Hammond coil to be just fine, as it obviously uses the E-core that compares well with the E-96 or E-130 from Intertechnik. There won’t be no air gap, 99 per cent sure. But the jump to 100 per cent will demand ordering one and measure it. I don’t need such a coil though. And even if I would, I’d get the E-96 from IT. I know that one and it’s good.

You mean the Hammond has no gap? Here is the datasheet, it is there (and there is a +-15% tolerance). https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/195P5.pdf

My audio experience is mostly into tube amplifiers and from them I know the Hammonds, used a lot in smoothing the DC supplies. This unit would do nice as a smoothing coil for a nice SS class AB amplifier.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Which is the difference between this reactor and an inductor?
A reactor is often used in a current control situation, eg current limiting, or as a ballast. They are sometimes seen in audio amplifier power supplies. In that application they are known to have an inductance that varies with current. Attached is an example which is rated to give a fivefold difference in inductance over a tenfold variation in current.

Attachments

• 20200207_222747.jpg
    20200207_222747.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.