Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

HELP: Spendor SD-14-D Driver Replacement options
HELP: Spendor SD-14-D Driver Replacement options
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2021, 09:08 PM   #1
Trip2Bear is offline Trip2Bear
diyAudio Member

Default HELP: Spendor SD-14-D Driver Replacement options

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. I am looking to replace the mid drivers from my Spendor S5e's. One has seized and I am looking to replace as a pair. Any advice on comparable units, apart from Spendor itself, gratefully received.
Thanks.
Old 14th January 2021, 07:47 AM   #2
markbakk is offline markbakk  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

What do you mean by ‘seized’?
Old 14th January 2021, 12:25 PM   #3
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip2Bear View Post
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. I am looking to replace the mid drivers from my Spendor S5e's. <<SNIP>>
You'll need to find a company which can measure the TS parameters ( and Frequency Response ) of your one working unit before a meaningful replacement can be suggested.

That ( measurement ) service ought to cost around $100.00 ( assuming it's done by a Pro outfit ) .

Old 14th January 2021, 12:26 PM   #4
raymondj is offline raymondj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would definitely sound out Spendor on the availability of a replacement drive unit. Simply to maintain the sound and possibly any remaining value they have.

If Spendor cannot supply a replacement then investigate alternative's.

Seized is interesting term for a midrange driver although depending on Xover design it maybe be seeing significant power when played loudly, can you describe in more detail? Can you gently push the cone in and out a mm or so with force applied equally on either side of the bullet shaped phase plug ?
Old 14th January 2021, 12:43 PM   #5
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

The can probably supply the driver for the right amount, and as it appears to me, OP would like to avoid higher costs. So I am imagining anyway.

I would get some Peerless sds-135 F25 cp02-6 that are being offered for 8.75 at cpc farnell while it lasts.
Old 14th January 2021, 01:26 PM   #6
raymondj is offline raymondj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I found the specified frequency band for the midrange 700 - 4.6Khz.

If funds are low, the CPC Farnell Peerless SDS could be an easy way out to have functional loudspeakers again, with some tweaking of level maybe. Its a truncated frame driver so check dimensions for approximately matching dimensions.
  Reply to this post

HELP: Spendor SD-14-D Driver Replacement optionsHide this!Advertise here!