HELP: Spendor SD-14-D Driver Replacement options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. I am looking to replace the mid drivers from my Spendor S5e's. <<SNIP>>

You'll need to find a company which can measure the TS parameters ( and Frequency Response ) of your one working unit before a meaningful replacement can be suggested.

That ( measurement ) service ought to cost around $100.00 ( assuming it's done by a Pro outfit ) .

:)

I would definitely sound out Spendor on the availability of a replacement drive unit. Simply to maintain the sound and possibly any remaining value they have.

If Spendor cannot supply a replacement then investigate alternative's.

Seized is interesting term for a midrange driver although depending on Xover design it maybe be seeing significant power when played loudly, can you describe in more detail? Can you gently push the cone in and out a mm or so with force applied equally on either side of the bullet shaped phase plug ?

I found the specified frequency band for the midrange 700 - 4.6Khz.

If funds are low, the CPC Farnell Peerless SDS could be an easy way out to have functional loudspeakers again, with some tweaking of level maybe. Its a truncated frame driver so check dimensions for approximately matching dimensions.

1} Where do you live? A question of availability and suppliers.

2} How big is the baffle cutout? The hole in the woodwork.

3} How big is the cosmetic rebate? if there is one at all.

Simple measurements. Then you know what will fit. And someone here might help. We are not psychic! Er, except me learned friend Lojzek. :D

FWIW, most 5" drivers are 149mm externally. The cutout is about 120mm. But not always.

Examples:
Peerless 830860 HDS 134 PPB MidWoofer Speaker
Vifa PL14WJ-09-08 Woofer Mid Range

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.