Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Are my speakers any good?
Are my speakers any good?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2021, 03:03 PM   #11
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john123456 View Post
Aside from that I get the sense that x2 8-inch drivers might not be as good as perhaps x1 8-inch and x1 5-inch... not sure why they put in two of the same size? The reason I say this is combined with the titanium tweeter which is good for the high frequency stuff it sounds like the middle is lacking.
The lower 7.6" driver produces only bass frequencies (below 600Hz) while the upper 7.6" driver undertakes both bass and mid duties (up to 4kHz where the tweeter takes over).

The voice coil of the titanium tweeter is damped and cooled by 'ferrofluid' whch can dry up over time. This may explain the "harshness" you think you can hear in the speakers. Old ferrofluid may be removed and new ferrofluid installed in order to bring the sound of the tweeters back to spec.

I'm not sure from your posts if you are intent on renovating these speakers or simply wishing to discuss how good (or bad) they are. If you do not require any more renovation advice, I'll bail out now.

EDIT: I see Ugg10 got in in front of me regarding the lower driver!

Last edited by Galu; 13th January 2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:06 PM   #12
john123456 is offline john123456
diyAudio Member

Like the idea of replacing the fluid if it's practical to do so. I don't fancy drilling out spot-welds or anything like that... but if it's simply a case of popping out a couple of screws then I may be up for that.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #13
ErnieM is online now ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Not really worth taking that tweeter apart. A modern $20 tweeter can match or exceed its performance. All depends how involved you want to get.

At a minimum I would:
-Change out the caps to new ones.
-Install a new tweeter and place some felt or other absorbing material around it.

This would make for a noticeable improvement.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Here is how ferrofluid is replaced: Replace ferrofluid in tweeter - a B&W tweeter as an example
Old 13th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
Not really worth taking that tweeter apart. A modern $20 tweeter can match or exceed its performance. All depends how involved you want to get.

At a minimum I would:
-Change out the caps to new ones.
-Install a new tweeter and place some felt or other absorbing material around it.

This would make for a noticeable improvement.
Are modern tweeters really better though? What's the difference between older designs like I'd have in my speakers and new ones? Not saying this is wrong... just wondering how new ones are better.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Production quality/consistency and design. Less distortion, better matched frequency response.

Even foam around your current tweeters can smooth out the sound. Especially at higher spl's.
Old 13th January 2021, 03:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

what about changing away from metal tweeters... good or bad idea?
Old 13th January 2021, 04:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Depends on the tweeter in question. I like metal domes but I've only tried expensive ones. There's a lot to like about modern soft domes. Exceptional performance to price. Either can give great results.

When/if you take the tweeters out, measure the frame dimensions, the cutout, and check the impedance. Might even be marked.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

This 8 ohm, 90dB, 96mm square frame, titanium dome tweeter could be a direct replacement: Visaton DSM 25 FFL Size 96 x 96mm
Attached Images
File Type: png Visaton.png (17.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: png DSM 25 FFL.png (132.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Galu; 13th January 2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Attached images show the original MS titanium tweeters for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS Ti Dimensions.jpg (323.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg MS Ti Rear.jpg (305.7 KB, 60 views)

Are my speakers any good?Hide this!Advertise here!