What is the most used, most popular good tweeter ever? DIY or mass market and why?

This might have been asked before but does anyone know?

I know some ears dislike metal tweeters, for whatever reasons, too hot, metallic sounding, ringing in their ears whatever. Then theres others that think soft domes are too dull, flat sounding, lifeless whatever. Tweeters dont seem to change as much as bass drivers and some of the same ones have been around for decades like the Scan speak D2010 for instance. These are actually a tweeter which I think sounds as metallic as I've ever heard from a soft dome, and they are still used in modern designs in the mass production market as well.

Anyone know of any other popular ones that lots just seem to agree on just sound good? Are there any which have a reasonable price as well? Would like to experiment more with different tweeters. And which is the best value for money to performance ratio as well?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not sure this answers your question but two of the most popular in this neck of the woods over all those years, and I suspect others, are from CTS and Philips.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.09.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.09.49 AM.png
    432.6 KB · Views: 3,586
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.11.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.11.13 AM.png
    394 KB · Views: 977
Not sure this answers your question but two of the most popular in this neck of the woods over all those years, and I suspect others, are from CTS and Philips.

That it is interesting. Being an audiophile/ enthusiast for perhaps possibly a good 30 years in the UK, more if you include my childhood as well :) Those are not two I've come across much in the UK. In fact they look like some I've never seen before! Just goes to show it can very much be a regional thing as well.

If there was just one "most popular good tweeter ever" then we wouldn't have to debate constantly over which one of the hundreds (possibly thousands) of different models of tweeters, past or present, is the best.

That would totally spoil our fun! ;)

If there was just one "most popular good tweeter ever" then we wouldn't have to debate constantly over which one of the hundreds (possibly thousands) of different models of tweeters, past or present, is the best.

That would totally spoil our fun! ;)

Yes very true. It would be like having one cake which is the best in the world or one good haggis if you're from Scotland ;)

As I said just a thought though. Some have had a long innings of being reputable and stayed in the game a long time. Such as the Scan Speak D2010 or the T27 kept popular because of the BBC LS3/55As. Trouble is those things have just price hiked I think because of their popularity more so than because their performance, although are undeniably good.

Not sure what else I know. Mission had a pretty popular one which wasn't mission obviously but used to pop up on various different designs as well.

It be interesting to see which was the most popular with designers and because the public as well were drawn by how good they performed in their respective systems.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those are not two I've come across much in the UK.

That, I also find interesting. I think everyone on this side of the pond must have owned a set of speakers with at least one of those. These were for the common man, not the rich kids, they had nicer speakers. These were the working man's tweeters that you could actually afford to replace after a memorable Saturday night.

These were a 70's to 90's tweeter.

when i think of classic tweeters i mostly think of scan speak 9000-series and the dynaudio esotar t330d

for budget tweeter it most be the vifa d25ag

That, I also find interesting. I think everyone on this side of the pond must have owned a set of speakers with at least one of those. These were for the common man, not the rich kids, they had nicer speakers. These were the working man's tweeters that you could actually afford to replace after a memorable Saturday night.

These were a 70's to 90's tweeter.

I caught my eye on most of the 70-90s gear :) Here anyway, but theres always stuff I havent seen.

I am very much like your description states Cal, a speakerholic :) But those are unfamiliar. And I've had car systems, live gear, PA speakers galore but its domestic gear that has always been my main passion and hundreds of speakers have come and gone from my doorstep :D Plus what Ive seen at shows and friends collections

The American speaker market I never really got either even though now we live in much more of a close global community thanks to the internet. I now have appreciation for all speakers at whatever they do or where they are targeted. I visited the states a few times as well and I just thought our American friends were just all about the bass from my limited impressions of the culture :) Obviously I know that's not how it always is.

Of course I like the earlier Bose speakers though. Which were looking back fairly unimpressive really with their sound and build, but even now I still think there is something about them. And I drooled over them as a young man. I thought they were just all round the business, the 301 types I mean. Apparently one of the best selling speakers ever ?? Apparently anyway.

The SEAS and Scan-Speak were probably the most popular speaker kits in South Africa in the 70s, 80s & into the 90s. I personally had a SEAS 6.5" MidBass driver matched with the D2009 tweeter. Excellent sound for the size. The Philips tweeter was also in the running, but SEAS was way more popular. As Cal said - for the average man in the street. The guys with money had their B&W, Isobarik, Wharfedale, Meridian or electrostats.
Kevin

I wasn't being derogatory. :)

I recently refoamed the mid/bass drivers in a pair of Bose 301 Series 2 speakers - the ones with the two paper cone tweeters.

You know what? The speaker sounded sweet!

Attachments

• Bose 301 Series 2.jpg
    Bose 301 Series 2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 604
Reactions: 1 user
From my research the following two tweeters are apparently some of the best value and are very hard to beat even by devices much more expensive. I’ll add my references later.

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/downloads/Scanspeak/d2608-913000.pdf
Peerless D26NC-56-06 Tweeter - Willys-Hifi Ltd

I've owned speakers with Peerless D26NC-56-06, they are decent. Typical soft dome though nothing spectacular but good quality soft dome tweeters for sure. They are a bit of a bargain as well at what they sell for. I'm pretty sure they are the same units that are used a lot in ATC. Pound for pound they have to be one of the best bargains out there, as long as you happy with a soft dome.

Used to see a tweeter very similar to these years ago as well in some older designs, it was quite a familiar sight once. Not so much now and I honestly cant remember how they sounded. If its the same thing.

They seem good value now and they seem to be have a very flat response as well.

MONACOR: DT-100

And the 301 series 2 with two tweeter were definitely the more desirable, for me anyway.

The CTS mentioned by Mr. Cal Weldon is a recreation of the classic Acoustic Research Cone tweeter.

911008d1610475196-popular-tweeter-diy-mass-market-screen-shot-2021-01-12-10-09-49-am-png

Used in some decent Acoustic Research AR4 speakers years ago:

490322d1435199547-classic-monitor-designs-acoustic-research-ar4-jpg

I have heard these things and there was a lot to like about them.

In fact I have just dug out my own homage:

694142d1532822908-woofer-cabinet-designs-pitch-visaton-w200s-plus-monacor-ht22-8-cone-tweeter-jpg

Very smooth. And the price is right at a puny £6.50:

Monacor :: Monacor HT-22/8 PS6.46

Not perfect in some aspects, but I think you'll have to throw the big bucks at it for better. :D

Reactions: 1 user