Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

What is the most used, most popular good tweeter ever? DIY or mass market and why?
What is the most used, most popular good tweeter ever? DIY or mass market and why?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2021, 09:40 PM   #81
Mike Gergen is offline Mike Gergen  United States
diyAudio Member

They aren't expensive, I bought a set of new ones in 1989 and another set a couple years ago for about $100. I've always liked Polk speakers.

Super fantastic? No, but for a $100 they are really nice. I'm going to use them for a HT set up when I get around to changing my room. 2 in the front, 2 in the back and I'll buy a center bar to go with them.

My first set has been my desk/computer speakers for years.
Old 15th January 2021, 09:54 PM   #82
Mosquito is offline Mosquito  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsounds View Post
That tweeter has appeared in 'a lot' of speakers, and some very good ones at that.
Yes, Polk Monitor 10B, RTA12, various Cizek models, and many many others
Old 15th January 2021, 10:50 PM   #83
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
And furthermore, why were the wires used made of aluminum instead of copper, the latter being a better conductor of electricity and more malleable to manufacture and roll into circles, less brittle ?
Since high frequency response is mainly determined by the mass of the moving parts, the the lighter aluminium wire improves the high frequency response.

In addition, an aluminium coil has a lower inductance than a copper coil of equal resistance, and this reduces the rise in impedance at high frequencies.
Old 15th January 2021, 11:05 PM   #84
westsounds is offline westsounds  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gergen View Post
They aren't expensive, I bought a set of new ones in 1989 and another set a couple years ago for about $100. I've always liked Polk speakers.

Super fantastic? No, but for a $100 they are really nice. I'm going to use them for a HT set up when I get around to changing my room. 2 in the front, 2 in the back and I'll buy a center bar to go with them.

My first set has been my desk/computer speakers for years.
ah ok Mike, interesting. Not much experience with Polk seen a few models in the UK but never heard any. Those older ones actually look a lot better than the newer uk ones I've seen. They don't make em like they used to
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:17 AM   #85
H713 is offline H713  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with an earlier post about the Elac JET series. I've listened to (and own) speakers with JET II and JET III tweeters and IMO they are the best I've heard when it comes to high frequencies... the caveat being that they really need to cross at 2.5 kHz or higher, and most 6" drivers don't like that.

Interestingly, Quested has used the same Morel MDT30 since sometime in the 80s in all of their higher end products. It's about $80 at Madisound. Morel tweeters don't seem to get much love around here, but I listen to them every day in my Q108s and they really are a great driver. Even in really expensive systems like the QM412, they use the same Morel tweeter. The rest of the drivers are from Volt, so it's not like they're going for low-cost.

Quested really doesn't have a big audiophile following (which is a real shame), but they're right up there with ATC in the world of studio monitoring.

From a purely subjective standpoint, I think I prefer the JET tweeters, but I really think that they would be best at the top of a 3-way. Maybe if I can get my hands on a pair of them I'll build a 3-way with JET tweeters on the top and 10" volt woofers on the bottom.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:24 PM   #86
markbakk is offline markbakk  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Since high frequency response is mainly determined by the mass of the moving parts, the the lighter aluminium wire improves the high frequency response.

In addition, an aluminium coil has a lower inductance than a copper coil of equal resistance, and this reduces the rise in impedance at high frequencies.
I’m not following this completely. Could you explain?
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:35 PM   #87
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Agreed. I understood that the aluminium wire was usually copper coated to reduce resistance?
Old 23rd January 2021, 05:23 PM   #88
Golyd is offline Golyd  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi guys! maybe a little late in the tread, but what about the SEAS H087 and later H086 found in early Dynaco speakers, among others. those must have reached production numbers in the millions
Old 23rd January 2021, 06:48 PM   #89
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Given that over a million A25 alone wer sold, yes, at least a million.

dave

What is the most used, most popular good tweeter ever? DIY or mass market and why?Hide this!Advertise here!