Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

First Crossover Design Advice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2020, 10:31 PM   #1
FoxTimo is offline FoxTimo
diyAudio Member

Default First Crossover Design Advice

I am planning on building my first own Speaker which should be a 2-way.

I designed this Crossover in VituixCAD and am pretty happy with the curve, just wanted to have experts have a look on it and if there are any major problems or things I have overseen because designing this seemed relatively easy

Screenshot by Lightshot

Drivers are the Dayton DSA175-8 and the Dayton DC28F-8
Old 26th December 2020, 10:40 PM   #2
classicalfan is offline classicalfan  United States
diyAudio Member

You're much better off buying a kit from an experienced designer. Dozens of good choices from Meniscus Audio, Madisound, Parts Express, and diysoundgroup.

Last edited by classicalfan; 26th December 2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 26th December 2020, 10:50 PM   #3
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

It looks like you have some peaking in your bass filter, I'd try putting some resistance in series with the shunt cap. Try starting with maybe 2 or three ohms and moving up or down to see how it affects things.

Also it looks like you haven't applied baffle step to the drivers measurements, which will change things fairly dramatically as well. Could be fine if you plan on having the speakers hard up against the wall but if away from the walls will need considering.

Finally without seeing the individual drivers curves (post crossover) it is a bit hard to tell what the actual crossover point is, but it seems from the phase curves it is 3rd order accoustic, The specs for the tweeter say it is usable down to 1300 Hz so may be ok...

Tony.
Old 27th December 2020, 04:43 AM   #4
Dave Bullet is offline Dave Bullet  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Looks good. I think you have allowed for 3dB bafflestep compensation given the woofer is nominally 88dB above bafflestep. I'd be worried you're crossing the DC28F a little too low... but listening test will tell.

What Z offset did you use on the driver tab for the DS175?

Are you targeting an LR acoustic response? if so flip the polarity of one of the drivers (select it then Ctrl-I). I don't think you've quite got phase tracking right yet. A shaping resistor as (shunt in series with the 2nd order capacitor on the woofer) will help bring up the response and can be used to tailor phase tracking to match
Old 27th December 2020, 06:22 AM   #5
GeoffMillar is offline GeoffMillar
diyAudio Member

Here's an existing project which uses those drivers:

BR-2 | Parts Express Project Gallery

They use the Dayton BR-1 cabinet but you could easily make your own

Of course, I haven't heard them but the designer is well regarded

HTH

Geoff
Old 27th December 2020, 07:20 AM   #6
classicalfan is offline classicalfan  United States
diyAudio Member

Good find. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 27th December 2020, 07:37 AM   #7
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Everything here looks very unreliable.
Old 27th December 2020, 10:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Not sure what's meant by 'unreliable' in the above comment, but in a general sense if I have already bought some drivers and would like to make a listenable speaker, using an existing, well-designed project should be a good way to go. It's worked for me several times.
Very cute dog in the photo!

Geoff
Old 27th December 2020, 10:31 AM   #9
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I usually tend to agree on the "leave it to the experts" recommendation, but then how are novices going to learn xover design!? You already have the parts. Are you able to measure SPL curves? Are you ready for a journey? Go for it!

That said, your xover does not look awfully wrong at all. The woofer/tweeter transition looks okay.

The "hump" from 100 to 300 Hz looks like a measurement artifact to me. How did you get these data?

Also, you need to understand that the on-axis SPL curve is just one of the many things to consider in a loudspeaker design. The on-axis SPL curve will not tell you the full story of how your design will sound. To get a better understanding about "how does it sound" you'll need to look at the off-axis SPL response, too. Vituix has some powerful built-in tools for this. In particular, Vituix calculates the directivity index and the power response, which will be more useful than just the on-axis response alone. You'll have to get SPL curves of the raw drivers (no xover) at off-axis angles, both horizontally and vertically, at fixed angular intervals (10 to 15 or so), covering the full 4pi sphere. That's a bit of work, but will give you much more useful data.

In the end, what really works to learn xover design is to do some test builds in order to hear what you see on the computer screen. Then start changing things by going back and forth between the test builds, measurements, and computer models.
Old 27th December 2020, 11:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Parts Express' product pages have the off axis data for both drivers, so it should be straightforward to load that information into Vituix.

It should be interesting to compare what you get from Vituix with the BR-2; of course those speakers were designed using measured data but it's always interesting to compare sims with final results. I've done that with all my DIY projects and it's an instructive exercise.

Geoff

First Crossover Design AdviceHide this!Advertise here!