Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Accelerometers to measure panel vibrations?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2021, 03:35 PM   #481
hifijim is offline hifijim  United States
diyAudio Member

So Remlab, between 550Hz and 650 Hz you have about a 1 dB difference between the two speakers. This means that the maximum null you could produce is -19.3 dB. At this frequency, your test is valid down to -19 dB.
Old 21st January 2021, 03:54 PM   #482
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Jim
Wow, this chart demystifies a lot! Thanks! Now I'm getting a grasp of what JohnK was referring to

Last edited by Remlab; 21st January 2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 21st January 2021, 05:12 PM   #483
diyAudio Member

This time, everything is on one graph except for panel vs noise..

Top two traces; Driver matching at 18" measured at exact same spot in room.

Dark green; Single speaker, on axis at 50"

Brown; Panel at 50"

Light green; Nulling baffles on axis, where they meet, with thick blankets over both panels at 50".(picture)

It looks like the blankets are almost totally transparent and not making any difference below 250hz, so the null method looks to be accurate only above that. Does that sound correct? Good cabinet bracing will push it above that point anyway, so it may be a useful tool to analyze the audibility of well braced cabinets, of which the Dunlavy certainly isn’t.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jan 21.jpg (135.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (104.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg AA04DA9F-5777-4520-8249-11BE02E4BAFE.jpg (770.2 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Remlab; 21st January 2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old 21st January 2021, 08:30 PM   #484
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Nice lamp and shade over there in the corner. A recent find, or heirloom?

I was suspecting that the blankets might prove too transparent in the bass. The only practical thing I can think of is sandbags. I have some and could make more, maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for all your hard work!
Old 21st January 2021, 08:35 PM   #485
diyAudio Moderator

In the mean time, why not try the same set of measurements but with the mic 19-20" away (50cm)? Or even at 25cm. You might be able to better isolate what the mic is picking up.
Old 21st January 2021, 09:43 PM   #486
diyAudio Member

Thank you! I Wanted to see if the Panel resonance could travel that far in the room, but your right, the resolution is not good, that far away. This next graph is my own speaker, but at 20"
Top traces, driver matching.
Green- Driver on axis at 20"
Brown- Panel at 20" using null method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy 123.jpg (136.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 21st January 2021, 10:24 PM   #487
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Nice lamp and shade over there in the corner. A recent find, or heirloom?

I was suspecting that the blankets might prove too transparent in the bass. The only practical thing I can think of is sandbags. I have some and could make more, maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for all your hard work!
The lamp was designed by my father back in the mid 60's. Mid century modern in design. He was a pretty famous sculptor.
Old 21st January 2021, 10:50 PM   #488
diyAudio Member

Wow. I did the null test on my speakers with the mic situated in between, and blankets on both. This is what I got. So the bump I thought was coming off my side panel at 500hz is actually coming from a resonance in between the baffles, I'm assuming from the phase plugs interacting with each other and interfering with the null. That's the only thing I can think of. So that's a good thing, because it's not coming off my baffle. It's most likely very silent all the way across the spectrum, Just like the vibration sensor was reading. The good thing about doing lots of measurements, is that a lot of assumptions get overturned. I'm realizing just how important the vibration sensor is in addition to this. They both have limitations, but when used together, you can definitely get a more complete picture.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wow.jpg (107.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 10542B60-59B0-428D-9ADF-466019699404.jpg (834.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Remlab; 21st January 2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:01 PM   #489
diyAudio Moderator

Ah ha! Good find. I did wonder just how good a null could be achieved. This seems to show that it's better at some frequencies than others.

Thanks for the info on the lamp. Quite the heirloom, then. We had a good collection of MCM lamps before we moved twice. My father was a carver and did very sleek stylized animals in the 60s. Those we still have.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:48 PM   #490
diyAudio Member

Comparison of frequency response between vibration sensor and mic placed one mm above surface(null method) in the same exact spot on the side panel as the sensor. This is to show exactly what becomes airborne in that exact spot. Green is the mic. Mauve is driver spl at one cm that was used during testing. What to make of this? I'm not totally sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmm.jpg (139.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Remlab; 22nd January 2021 at 04:13 PM.

Accelerometers to measure panel vibrations?Hide this!Advertise here!