2-Way With a 10" Woofer

I had luck with a b102 run wide open and a morel cat378 with its 5.6uf cap.
but yes, pushing a 10" up that high is a struggle...……………..

ampslab liked that morel
https://ampslab.com/blog/2018/02/21/morel-cat-378/

Both drivers are about 6db down at 2khz and 12db down an octave away from that (time phase alignment if you are into that), and similar sensitivity, easy peasy.

Surprisingly, I couldn’t hear what was proper phase until I had the morel slid waaaaay back, b102 is deep. Maybe that is why some 6db tweets not moved back for physical alignment are wire out of phase (lipinski).

But, many of those horn loaded domes are 6db down 30 degrees off axis at 10khz, even Devore orangutans.

And what does that mean ?

How about 2 -3 people wide listening width at 7’ away.
It get irritating when you walk out of the sweet zone.

Now I am 10’ and itching to remake them but adding a baffle step b102..........

Last edited:
Have you considered two 8 inch per side instead of one 10 inch? I did a 10 inch 2-way years (really decades ago). I used a Pioneer 10 inch poly' cone with foam surround and a Peerless soft dome tweeter. This was called "wide angle" or something, it had a shallow waveguide and could cross fairly low (discontinued now). I got good results here. Audax still makes a tweeter that is really a mid-tweeter, about 1.3 inches and can cross fairly low. Take a look at that; also, the suggestions for a small full range would give good results.

Audax TW034X0 1.3" Textile Dome Tweeter

re 8" and dome HF 2 way. A really good builder I follow favors that combination. He might call eight inch two ways the magic combo. As did many speaker makers where I am from. Companies like Paradigm, who made several stand mount 8" x 1" domes, and 8" 2 ways larger floor speakers. So did sound dynamics. There are a bunch employing 8s of theres also energy. Maybe 8's are the happy medium. Although Dynaudio made 10s work with theyre all too popular 10" 2 way. I happen to be interested in the resurrection a26 over at madisound..

Off the top of my head,

Generally, a 10" mid-woofer will start beaming at 1,500 to 1,600 Hz

The bump is near 1,300 , same one the a26

Attachments

• Screenshot (286).png
    Screenshot (286).png
    398.5 KB · Views: 386
Last edited by a moderator: