New DIY speaker hunt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings

So I've been on the hunt for a new speaker. But I have limitations this time as the wife for the first time in our marriage is stepping in... Maybe because the closet full of drivers, xo parts and speakers going to waste.

I can do a new build to last the next few years, but I was given a condition. They have to be a kit or a proven/well designed plan.

Yes there are a LOT of kits, but I've one found two that come close to what I want. One the designer said XO not very refined so he wouldn't recommend it. The other uses a 12" and I need a 6.5-8".

I'm looking for a lot or design using a CD/WG or Horn with a Mid-Bass woofer and NOT a PA woofer. I want something that WON'T have to be crossed at 80+. Hell that's all klipsch builds but their stuff is garbage and costs way way to much.

Does anyone know of a design? And yes I know about Econowave- they use PA woofers, the midbass woofer they use for one is to big.

These will go in a 15x13 room close to corners, budget $160 per speaker for XO and drivers. I am NOT interested in DIYSG, I don't want to sacrifice bass for spl. I'd rather have a 88/89db speaker and have extension. I don't have DATS so I can't measure my self the ZMA and TS, I do have UMIK-1 and HOLM and REW. That's why I prefer a kit/design already unless there's some form of collaboration here. I've heard a few horns and I love the way the sound and make our music more enjoyable, and they look awesome.

Last edited:
Budget is a little low for the effort of diy'ing. For the same price you can buy the well designed JBL 306P MKII for 149.00 each. Add a couple cross braces and you're done.

I made the mistake of going that route(ish) bought Kali-lp6. Horrible 60/120hz hum and really bad ground loop at every outlet. Weren't as good as I thought they would be either. I have 7 of them sitting in their boxs waiting to sell them. Didn't seem like to much effort, heck you can hit up DIYSG and buy a few kits for that price, I just don't want a PA woofer.

I made the mistake of going that route(ish) bought Kali-lp6. Horrible 60/120hz hum and really bad ground loop at every outlet. Weren't as good as I thought they would be either. I have 7 of them sitting in their boxs waiting to sell them. Didn't seem like to much effort, heck you can hit up DIYSG and buy a few kits for that price, I just don't want a PA woofer.

That honestly sounds like an amplifier problem not a speaker issue. Did you test them with multiple amps/pre-amps?

SB-Acoustics drivers have been used successfully in an 8"+1.1" two-way:
The 8" SB23NBACS45-4 woofer in a sealed 1cuft volume has -F3 ~50Hz and justs starts beaming ~1,000Hz. Use a crossover at ~1,200Hz - 1,300Hz with LR4 / LR4 circuits to the 1.1" SB29RDC-C000-4 tweeter.

Download the datasheets. Study the SPL curves around 1,200 to 1,300Hz. You will become a believer.

The $110 8" woofer has a geometrically reinforced aluminium cone for improved break-up control. The 1.1" tweeter has increased area, 0.5mm peak-to-peak linear travel, plus a low Fs=600Hz.

Drivers + crossover parts cost ~ $200.

Hi " Remy",

Have you forgotten ( or ruled-out ) DIYSG's long retired Fusion-6 "VIBE" ??

I really thought that Matt Grant did a bang-up job on that little guy.

From what I see the "VIBE" is able to fulfill all your criteria ( ultimately bass extension would be governed by box size and tuning ) .

For review ( and archiving purposes ) here are a bunch of 6 year-old screen grabs.

While the EOS-6 horn and that little dna-150 driver are NLA, there are just as capable small drivers and small waveguides available.

attachment.php

You might want to contact Erich to see if he still has any of these parts that he'd like to sell.

If not, the B&C ME10 horn driven by a Peerless dfm2535 compression driver would be my first choice to use in a redesign ( it's a more than capable substitute and has a nice well damped 35mm titanium diaphragm ).

FaitalPro 6Fe100-8

FWIW, I see your budget as being doable.

I might even suggest doubling the woofer count ( for the L,C,R's ) into a TMM arrangement and finding a slightly larger waveguide for use ( such as the EOS-8 or similar ).

attachment.php

HiFiCompass de10 on ME10 measurements has done a nice workup of measurements on this driver/horn combo.

This horn shows surprising good directivity ( down to 2.5K ).

attachment.php

Erich is blowing out B&C de10's ( FYI ).

:)

Attachments

• fusion_6_mt.jpg
    fusion_6_mt.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 370
  • Fusion-6 description.png
    Fusion-6 description.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 141
  • fusion_6_mtm_center.jpg
    fusion_6_mtm_center.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 46
  • Fusion-6 center description.png
    Fusion-6 center description.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Fusion-6 opening page.png
    Fusion-6 opening page.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 43
  • fusion6_drawing.jpg
    fusion6_drawing.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 48
  • fusion6mtm_drawing.jpg
    fusion6mtm_drawing.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 45
  • SoIDmy4.jpg
    SoIDmy4.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot 2020-12-06 075720.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-06 075720.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.