Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Home theater - LCR Speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2020, 08:37 PM   #11
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
For best boundary/screen loading and it should be 3/4" from the drivers.......
Forgot to add that to account for any toe-in the gap can be up to 2.8"/7 cm

GM
Old 5th December 2020, 03:23 PM   #12
Lex vs Kingpin is offline Lex vs Kingpin  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Default Home theater front speakers

Hello,

This is Onur. I opened a similar thread in the full range section, but I got several recommendations to open it here.

Right now we are in the process of moving into a new place. I have a dedicated home theater room 320 x 550 x 230 cm (w x h x d - 10.5 x 18 x 7.5 feet) and finished the cabling.

I will use nylon/spandex acoustically transparent screen (around 120" 16:9 or 114" 2.39:1) and put speakers behind them.

What I have in hand:

1) AV123 Strata Mini (tower speakers) - pair
2) Stone Image Audio Rothschilde A2 (bookshelf speakers) - pair
3) Wharfedale 2180 (pro speakers) - 7 of them
4) Visaton BG-20 drivers (BG 20 - 8 Ohm | Visaton) - 3 of them
5) Visaton DTW 72 drivers (DTW 72 - 8 Ohm | Visaton) - 3 of them
6) Tymphany TC9FD18-08 drivers (TC9FD18-08 - Tymphany) - 7 of them
7) subwoofers: infinity 1260w in a 45x45x50 cm enclosure (around 90 liters) - 2 of them

I am thinking to use strata mini's in the living room, not in the home theater room; but, if I use them in the HT room I found a center kit with the similar atohm drivers with the mini's (Kit Sirocco C.1 - ATOHM).

I tried to draw a scaled sketch (attached to this message). I am planning to put the electronics behind the AT screen (either at the center or close to near walls, it doesn't affect my viewing experience so no problems there). Ceiling is a hung-type (dont know the term) by gypsum boards; filled with rockwool in between the concrete and gypsum boards (net height is 230cm).

There will be a projector (optoma uhd300x) just behind the main seating position. Audio signalling will be a 5.2.2 atmos system (7 speakers and 2 subwoofers placed around the middle of the room); or perhaps I will use 7.2.

I was using wharfedales but they are not anywhere close to strata minis, both in audio wise (what I hear) and frequency response wise. I have a umik-1 and REW and will utilize it to try the acoustical treatment within the room after setting up the system. Besides, rotschilde speakers are really musical and I enjoy the sound of them immensely. I am thinking to use strata minis and rothschildes in different parts of the house and planning to use visaton combinations or tcdfd drivers in the home theater, but don't know which enclosure to build for home cinema usage.

I would like to get your opinions around what to do for LCR speaker setup.

Best,
Onur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (121.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (30.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (23.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 5th December 2020, 04:18 PM   #13
fabricadetabaco is offline fabricadetabaco
diyAudio Member

You could use the visaton full ranges for rear and center. Since you have 7 use 6 of them in pair per speaker (x3) for instance 50x30cm front baffle and 30cm depth giving 45l large boxes plenty of power for the use.

Secondly those subs I don’t know. Look like car subs. I’d find something else and put also them behind the screen with the mains and center.

What what is going to be your mains is the real question to be honest.
What’s your budget. What’s the plan for electronics.
Room layout is a bit tricky too.

In my opinion all speakers should be the same type.
I’d build something similar to 5x Klipsch Heresy + 2x15” sub and you will be happy for the rest of your life.

Last edited by fabricadetabaco; 5th December 2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 5th December 2020, 11:46 PM   #14
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Threads merged.
Old 6th December 2020, 02:07 PM   #15
fabricadetabaco is offline fabricadetabaco
diyAudio Member

After reading both threads (now merged) I realize that you really have no specific questions.

What do you want advice on?
Room layout?
Rear and center speakers?
Front speakers?
Subs?
Reuse any of your old drivers or new?
What is your budgets?
What is your plan with electronics?
Are you looking for DIY at all, or buy factory stuff? If the later go to AVSForum.

I still feel like in a room like this 5x identical PA speakers with 12 bass + compression driver with waveguide horns would be your best bet to control the power, simple and effective 2-ways with high SPL and punch. Before Ill point in any further direction Id like to know if you plan to build yourself and what is the budget and how much experience do you have with DIY. Also I would consider a different sub. And also the location of the sub. Perhaps on the rear.

The room is complicated and needs some attention. I would have lots of furniture in the rear. A big book shelf or something heavy do stop reflections from the wall of sound from front. Plants, paintings, carpets and rugs all help here. Lots of cushions in the sofa.
  Reply to this post

Home theater - LCR SpeakersHide this!Advertise here!