Dunlavy SC-V - Vifa D75MX-31-08 dome mid replacement drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a problem on my hands. In mid-October I bought a pair of Dunlavy SC-V off of US Audio Market. It took me far longer to get them into the house and ready to test them out than planned. I got the speakers into the living room and shoved into back corner a couple weeks ago, but didn't get around to testing them until Sunday evening and... no highs or midrange!

After checking out everything obvious I pulled a crossover thinking something got knocked loose during shipping; no luck. I pulled a mid and measured the voice coil; open. My heart sank. Same thing with the other mid. Same with the other speaker. All 4 mids and both tweeters voice coils measure open! Seller s they worked fine when he put them into storage in an unheated garage a year ago. He says he's willing to refund money to cover the cost of replacement drivers, so that's a good sign.

Anyway, I need to find replacement drivers and want to get them back to as close to when they left the factory as possible. With no tweeter or mid to measure as a reference I'm not sure how to proceed, especially since the D75MX-31-08 that are supposedly used as the mids are discontinued. I've also read comments saying the -41-08 version is nearly identical, but other comments saying they sound a little more forward.

Tweeters I'm not so worried about. Those seem readily available, inexpensive, and since I have pairs of both SC-III and SC-IV, I can rob the pair of tweeters out of the SC-III and shove replacements back in there.

What would you recommend I do? D I find 4 of the discontinued -31-08's, or buy new -41-08 from Madisound or whoever and have them match a set? I'm not averse to getting out the soldering iron and changing a cap, resistor or whatever if I had to to make the -41 sound like the -31, if needed. I 'd just need some help determining proper values.

Regards,
Brent

This should be readily available. As far as I know it essentially is the same driver.

The 31 instead of 41 merely means the unit has been produced for different speaker manufacturers. They could have had special wishes wrt the details of the unit, but I really doubt it was the case here. The D75 was (and is) a rather balanced unit and end users like Dunlavy wouldn't really have had a clue what would better it.

Last edited:
I think Mark is right. The modern ScanSpeak Discovery D7608/9200-10 equivalent doesn't look wildly different. Couldn't see anything on the spec sheets that has changed much. Needs a little enclosure of 1.5L in both cases, because they are vented..

ScanSpeak Discovery D7608/9200-10 3" Dome Midrange (D75MX41)

Madisound do replacement voicecoils for what is presumably a vifa tweeter:

Vifa Voice Coils: Madisound Speaker Components

But might be as cheap to buy new ones. Saves you faffing about with ferrofluid.

Might be worth checking your amp out. Might have a nasty switch-on thump or squeel. Not sure.

Last edited:
Thank you both. I spoke with Madisound yesterday and they really recommended the -41-08 versions. A guy on AVSforums with Dunlavy experience that' I've swapped messages with over the past couple days also said the same.

I've sent an email to the seller with all the details and prices, so hopefully he's fine with the price and refunds me to cover the replacements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.