Removing back chamber from SB26ADC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to experiment with different back chamber configurations on the SB26ADC, but i am already struggling with getting the plastic back cup off. I'm guessing heat is the answer, but i'm wondering if there is anything in the motor system that can be ruined by too much heat. If not then i can try baking it at 100C or so. Had no luck with a heatgun so far. The front plate with membrane and voice coil is disassembled prior to this obviously.

Any experience or tips?

Thank you, i might try twisting it off with two oil filter removal tools. Not sure that heat will help then. I used a heatgun until the plastic was uncomfortable to touch, that did nothing. If more heat than that can damage the magnets, then thats off the table.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I might drill a small hole or two in the back, careful not to go deeper than the thickness of the cup, and then probe the inside with a piece of wire. Maybe you can saw the cup off.

PS, dont probe straight up the middle because there may be a passage through a vented pole piece straight to the dome.

There is no felt or foam to be seen. I've seen pictures of the same driver with felt, so looks like SB have done some silent cost saving. At the bottom of the pole piece i can see there is a gap between the magnet and the plastic cup. So i could saw it off.

What kind of temperatures should i stay below for the magnets sake?

Attachments

• DSC_0392.JPG
    DSC_0392.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.