Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Which cabinet material is best. YouTube test
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2020, 07:02 PM   #11
andy19191 is offline andy19191  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
Fair enough Mark, but where to draw the line?

In my humble non-scientific opinion, some things are best kept about 24dB down. This is where they may be contributing around a 0.5dB variation.
Why not aim to bring the cabinet sound radiation below the audibility threshold which is under -24 dB at least at midrange frequencies? This is achievable if one follows the physics and has an inaudible level of sound radiation as a goal. It will add complexity, time and cost but will result in genuinely higher quality speakers. I guess we all have our own sets of values but I would always have this as one of my objectives. May not be achievable if in conflict with others like low complexity, cheapness, or whatever but it would still be there pushing to improve the quality of the speakers.
Old 26th November 2020, 07:02 PM   #12
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy19191 View Post
I would suggest everyone with an interest in the quality of their speakers should care. Resonant sound from the enclosure may not be a large factor but it is an audible one for many DIY enclosures. Unlike many of the important factors in speaker quality doing something about is straightforward to achieve if the DIYer takes an interest in what is (genuinely) going on and what can be done to improve things.

When I first started speaker DIY in the early 70s everyone I knew would damp their cabinets with car underseal, roofing tar, bitumen or similar. Today DIYers are more likely to stick felt on the walls. It is curious how general knowledge, if that is the right term, has not necessarily improved despite the improvements in communication, measurement, materials, drivers, manufacturing, etc... The video illustrates the point rather nicely.
Apologize if i stepped on any toes with my "signifigance rant".

Yep, i remember the advice in the 70's to dampen cabinets. It was a bit of a fad it almost it seemed..???
My first build was in the mid to late 60's. I built, at least to my knowledge, perhaps the first large sized boom box.
It had either a 10 or 12 inch full-range driver (can't remember) driven by a mighty 8 watt Ratshack battery powered transistor amp lol.
It was damn nice....used carpet for dampening...but that was more to keep the hidden booze compartment from rattling, haha.

Anyway, yes, i take quality oh so seriously.
It's just i keep experiencing once a certain quality threshold is met from a particular aspect, it's best to withdraw energy and expense from further work on that aspect.
You know, find the weakest link and work on that....let go of the every-aspect perfection-obsession (not always easy for me).

Frankly all the Youtube video did was strengthen my opinion about once thresholds are met, go no further... differences shown were inconsequential imho.

I certainly saw nothing worth pursuing in terms of box material...but then again I've only used baltic birch for the last 30+ speakers I've built.
Old 27th November 2020, 04:15 AM   #13
JLDIY is offline JLDIY  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default BBC's view on cabinet resonance audibility

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1977-03.pdf
I've re-read this article a few times and don't really understand 90% of it, but it has one little diagram that did hit home with me (first attachment)
It shows that midrange resonances are easier to hear than bass-range resonances.
They show in the article that lighter panels are easier to dampen which brings the resonances down into the "harder to hear" bass range.
I tried a build with thin walls and lots of damping and it was a fun change from my usual 3/4 ply routine. They are subjectively less resonant when you tap them. And music can't be felt as strongly through the walls. Anyway, I might post some pics here soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CabResAudibility.jpg (94.3 KB, 42 views)
  Reply to this post

Which cabinet material is best. YouTube testHide this!Advertise here!