Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Thought experiment..
Thought experiment..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2020, 05:30 PM   #11
EddieT is offline EddieT  United States
diyAudio Member

I have often thought that if one recorded a concert with mikes spaced the width of the human head at the best seat in the hall and listened with headphones it should sound the same as if one were in the concert hall.
Old 21st November 2020, 05:53 PM   #12
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What you're aiming for there is binaural sound. The microphones should include a HRTF for accuracy when playing back via headphones.

Stereo micing for reproduction via speakers is a huge topic. Spaced mics give phase information, while directional (but coincident - see XY, M/S) give level information. ORTF is an attempt (there are others) to include both phase and level information.

Chris
Old 21st November 2020, 07:30 PM   #13
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Most normal recordings aren't of a single instrument. Imagine an orchestra recorded in a similar way, would it sound right with only your room's acoustic imposed?
No, because number one, you can't get a full orchestra into an anechoic chamber, and number two, you can't close mic it. That's why it wasn't included in the thought experiment

Last edited by Remlab; 21st November 2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 21st November 2020, 07:59 PM   #14
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I see, well, it was my thought experiment. The point was "They are here" isn't always appropriate.
Old 21st November 2020, 08:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I couldn't agree more
Old 21st November 2020, 08:51 PM   #16
GeoffMillar is offline GeoffMillar
diyAudio Member

Not exactly on topic, but some of the best sounding orchestral records I've heard or owned were recorded by RCA and Mercury in the lats 50s, with I think just three microphones and of course analogue tape. Do I think the orchestra is in the room? No - but do I enjoy the music - of course.

Geoff
Old 21st November 2020, 09:57 PM   #17
Just Dave is offline Just Dave  United States
diyAudio Member

@ Chris661,

A couple of very useful posts there! Thank you.

Thanks for the link to the microphone positioning comparisons! That's something which I've always wanted to do, but simply do not have the resources for that kind of intensive effort.

With regard to "normal simple stereo" recording techniques, you're absolutely on the right track. I'll just say that, whether A-B, X-Y, ORTF, or other variation on simple/basic mic choice/placement, the "bottom line" is venue and ensemble. A recording engineer must live within those constraints, regardless. I'm fairly certain that you know this, and am mostly talking to those who are getting their feet wet.

Back to comparisons, your linked source is excellent. I've not seen anything comparably high quality.

Just fyi for everyone, way back as a study several decades ago, I did a microphone comparison, but the focus was on comparing various "high end" microphones, for various instruments. Sometimes, the difference was rather subtle - even hardly noticeable, sometimes it was obvious. I still have the original tape.

Your link does a great job of highlighting the importance of microphone positioning! Thank you for the link!
Old 21st November 2020, 10:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Ah, here it is: Comparison of different microphone positions for orchestra instruments
An excellent resource - you can listen to the directivity of a variety of instruments.

It's easy to get bogged down in the theoretical stuff - I've gone around in circles on this path many times.
The only right answer I can find is to get multi-track recordings of the music you want to listen to, and put together a Grateful Dead-style setup, with speaker directivities (and positions) that match the instruments you'll be putting through them.

As it happens, I have the equipment to pull that off, but lack the time or inclination.

Chris
Thanks Chris! Outstanding link! I love this!
Old 21st November 2020, 10:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I was hoping when I posted this "thought experiment"(More like a theoretical question), that smart people would be interested enough to shoot it down and chop it up into little pieces. I've already learned so much from this! Thank you, everyone who has posted so far!

Last edited by Remlab; 21st November 2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 21st November 2020, 11:23 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Ah, here it is: Comparison of different microphone positions for orchestra instruments
An excellent resource - you can listen to the directivity of a variety of instruments.

It's easy to get bogged down in the theoretical stuff - I've gone around in circles on this path many times.
The only right answer I can find is to get multi-track recordings of the music you want to listen to, and put together a Grateful Dead-style setup, with speaker directivities (and positions) that match the instruments you'll be putting through them.

As it happens, I have the equipment to pull that off, but lack the time or inclination.

Chris

I'm already finding that these recordings make an excellent loudspeaker quality diagnostic tool also.

Last edited by Remlab; 21st November 2020 at 11:27 PM.
  Reply to this post

Thought experiment..Hide this!Advertise here!