Quick win: My Tweeters are too quiet!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys!

My 3-way speakers sound nice - but the tweeters are just too quiet.

We know what these tweeters are capable of, as we have the same tweeters in a smaller model by the same maker.

I have removed the aging crossover caps and measured then [ESR - METER] and they are all near perfect, with minimal loss.

Below is a pic of the crossover.

Is there an easy way of making the tweeter a bit louder, without having to completely replace the crossover tweeter resistor and try reduced resistor values?

Attachments

• CROSSOVER from Not Working Tweeter Speaker.jpg
    CROSSOVER from Not Working Tweeter Speaker.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 339
  • DRIVERS CLOSE UP.jpg
    DRIVERS CLOSE UP.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 315
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The answer is in the question. Keyword is "aging". Replace at least C3 for a good quality film cap and it will be OK. Search for a type that fits physically without having to resort to melt glue etc.

Tip: if you want useful replies then it would help if you mention brand + type of the loudspeaker in question.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Still OP should mention it. If one expects answers one should deliver as well. It is not uncommon that a filter is used in various types (I don't see a type number at all on the speakers themselves) and why would someone that puts time in answering having to waste extra time?

Try "my car makes some noise" at your local garage :)

Last edited:
The answer is in the question. Keyword is "aging". Replace at least C3 for a good quality film cap and it will be OK. Search for a type that fits physically without having to resort to melt glue etc.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I tried that already. I installed same value, quality POLYPROPYLENE caps for the tweeter and it did not improve. If anything, I felt it made the tweeters slightly quieter.

These speakers are MAGNAT ALL-RIBBON-6. Not true RIBBON tweeters - dome tweeters with ribbon-shaped voice coil wire.

'without having to completely replace the crossover tweeter resistor and try reduced resistor values' - parallel another resistor with the existing one, but if you're that lazy it's just as much work....

Thanks Pete.

I've already had all the caps out, measured them, transplanted the tweeter caps with polys, etc. etc.

I guess if I was really that lazy, I wouldn't have got this far with the project.

I'd be happy to give your suggestion a go.

Could you suggest a starter value that I can parallel with the existing tweeter resistor - a value that might be a good first guess?

I guessed that this stuff is a walk in the park for those with the experience...

Still OP should mention it. If one expects answers one should deliver as well. It is not uncommon that a filter is used in various types (I don't see a type number at all on the speakers themselves) and why would someone that puts time in answering having to waste extra time?

Try "my car makes some noise" at your local garage :)

Sorry Jean-Paul.

I just figured this stuff would be generic to any 3-way crossover - which is why I only provided the photo of crossover and 3-way speaker.

My bad.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I tried that already. I installed same value, quality POLYPROPYLENE caps for the tweeter and it did not improve. If anything, I felt it made the tweeters slightly quieter.

These speakers are MAGNAT ALL-RIBBON-6. Not true RIBBON tweeters - dome tweeters with ribbon-shaped voice coil wire.

Yes that info should have been in the first post to avoid suggestions that already have been carried out. If new (film) caps did not work out maybe these speakers are too old and/or have been abused.

As a tech I would never put back the old part though (if the speakers will be used again).

Last edited:
'Could you suggest a starter value' - think about how much info you have given us.... we could be more help if you posted the schematic, and links to the drivers data sheets

Fair request.

These are 1988-1990 speakers and I just don't have the data you are looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions though. The paralleled resistor idea is just the nudge I needed.

I will play around with formulas and different values to see if I can achieve a small increase in volume.

Thanks for the input.

Ferrofluid to be replaced?

You mention that you also have the same tweeter on a smaller speaker. Have you tried to swap them?

Ralf

Good thought Ralf, but there is no ferrofluid in these tweeter's, by design.

I recently replaced one of the tweeters from a smaller model I had set aside for parts - that uses the exact same model of tweeter - so I know what it is capable of.

I think I just need to tweak the resistance to the tweeter - and Pete below gave me a good steer on how simple that could be.

I'll give that a go!

Hi Guys!

My 3-way speakers sound nice - but the tweeters are just too quiet.

We know what these tweeters are capable of, as we have the same tweeters in a smaller model by the same maker.

I have removed the aging crossover caps and measured then [ESR - METER] and they are all near perfect, with minimal loss.

Below is a pic of the crossover.

Is there an easy way of making the tweeter a bit louder, without having to completely replace the crossover tweeter resistor and try reduced resistor values?

In general (assuming the tweeter is working correctly), if there is a resistor in parallell to the tweeter, raising the value with one or two ohms will raise the whole tweeter curve slightly. This will of course also change the transferfunction between the mid and the tweeter but maybe not so much. The other alternative is a whole new filter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Have you considered an adjustable L-Pad? You could get a few cheap (25Watt) ones to play with. You can also use just 2 legs as a variable resistor. If you end up getting a higher output that you are satisfied with; you can then replace the cheap adjustable L-pad with higher quality fixed resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.